• NYC Wartime Train Schedule

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by kevikens

I sometimes pick up railroadiana in my hobby and recently found a 1945 New York Central War Emergency Train Schedule. It is filled with wartime advertising and notices about how the war is affecting NYC's service. I was surprised at the number of trains the NYC was running then. I really do not know much about train schedules. Is something like this a rare find ? Does it have collector's value ? thanks.

by SimTrains

I'd say so, and not just because I'm an avid NYC collector myself. I'm curious if this was a wartime schedule while WW2 was going on, or maybe it's an emergency plan should the U.S. have been invaded or something like that? I've never seen such a thing. Any chance of you scanning it in and sharing? :-D

by kevikens

Thanks for that response. It was issued in May of 1945 and advises passengers that rail traffic was about to be disrupted as soldiers were going to be moving across the country from the East to the West Coast, presumably for the invasion of Japan. I got it as part of a house clean out from a family that was preparing to sell the old homestead. I am sorry that I do not have the technical skills to scan and post but if someone gives me a mailing address I'll xerox some of it ( it's pretty thick, lots of schedules for routes other than the NYC to Chicago route) and perhaps one of you can establish what I have. I apologize for not knowing more about train schedules. I collect railroad books and photograph trains but never got into schedules and besides I am more of a PRR, Reading, B&O and PRSL kind of guy.

by erie2521

I believe I have the same timetable in a box somewhere (we have recently moved). If it is, then it was in the same NYC format that they used for years. I suspect the "emergency" part inferred that there was a war on and that the Railroad scheduling of trains was somewhat curtailed by shortages of equipment. I do remember a couple of blurbs about unnecessary travel and the like.
At the time I was stationed at the Camp Upton Convelescant Hospital on Long Island and used the NYC to come home to Rochester on furlough and also to travel home upon my discharge. That trip was the night of Aug. 14, 1945, the night the war ended.

by Noel Weaver

I think almost any timetable from the WW-II years has value. During the
war there were constant scrap paper drives and many timetables of the
period fell victim to such things.
I remember when I was trying to fill out my collection of employee
timetables from the New Haven Railroad, the last ones that I was able to
find were from the war period in the 40's.
Noel Weaver