• My day in District 4

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by gprimr1

I can never find alot of time to railfan GRS because they are so unpredictable but...

I got to spend a few hours in district four today. I had a few finds.

1.) The signs for "Deerfield River Catch and release" are gone. There now appears to be no parking at all at the east portal. I have a solution for that for the next trip, kayack up the deerfield to the big bend, then climb up the hill.

2.) No trains at all active in District four (9:30-11:30). All signals dark. I checked the signal at Berkshire East and the flashers came on and I jumped for joy, then I saw a GRS maintainer working on the crossing.

3.) I got to Deerfield yard and they were building a huge train, but it kept backing up and moving forward, being assembled. They had about 50-70 cars with one engine, so I assume it was a local, I would think you'd need more than 1 engine to go to the Hoosac tunnel.

4.) As I went home depressed, I saw a random grade crossing near route 5 flash, and I turned off and low and behold, a loan engine making it's way up the CT River track. I got to see "stop and protect." It's ridiculous, he stands in the crossing (which has flashing lights and arms) and holds a red flag up. With the lights, and the incredible low speed of the trains on that track, what's the need?
  by NHN503

gprimr1 wrote:
1.) The signs for "Deerfield River Catch and release" are gone. There now appears to be no parking at all at the east portal. I have a solution for that for the next trip, kayack up the deerfield to the big bend, then climb up the hill.
There is still a good amount of parking for about 20 cars at the east portal....I was there on Sunday.

by gprimr1

Lemme know next time, it's always good to have a second. I plan to do a ski/railfan trip in late Feb.

by NYC27

It's ridiculous, he stands in the crossing (which has flashing lights and arms) and holds a red flag up. With the lights, and the incredible low speed of the trains on that track, what's the need?
I believe rusty rail conditions exist on the Conn River Main so all crossings are stop and protect for safety reasons regardless of whether the gates and lights are actually working. Rusty rail can prevent the track circuits from tripping the crossing protection equipment.
  by Gary Young

Ian MacMillan wrote:
gprimr1 wrote:
There is still a good amount of parking for about 20 cars at the east portal....I was there on Sunday.
"""""That is all PanAm property at the Hoosac Tunnel .We parked on the sign side of the tracks(South side/East side of the paved road).The sign was taken down after the OCS went through heading West the end of last year.So we will have wait and see if they put up No Tress. signs up.

by newpylong

NYC27 wrote:
It's ridiculous, he stands in the crossing (which has flashing lights and arms) and holds a red flag up. With the lights, and the incredible low speed of the trains on that track, what's the need?
I believe rusty rail conditions exist on the Conn River Main so all crossings are stop and protect for safety reasons regardless of whether the gates and lights are actually working. Rusty rail can prevent the track circuits from tripping the crossing protection equipment.
Yet, on the Conn River north there are only 3 trains each way per week and the restriction does not apply... only south where the CTC still is (where there are two trains per day). Too cheap to maintain it most likely, just like the track. Going through Northampton with two piece of crap engines and 60 coal cars, and having to stop and start for every crossing is the worst in the world. It's a real joke standing inbetween two functional crossing gates with a flag.

by gprimr1

The guy looked almost embarrised to be there.

You know, with the speed of the trains, you'd think they could see if the gates were not functioning.