• A Sad Anniversary Is Upon Us....

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Dieter

As I write this, tomorrow, Thursday, January 31st, 2008, will be the 40th Anniversary of the final day of operations on the New York Central.

40 years is a long time.

40 years is how long the German Democratic Republic existed, and it was a good thing when that ended in 1990. 40 years following the demise, I still wish there was a New York Central Railroad to ride, and watch. The merger of the Central was NOT a good thing, and even people not versed in transportation could see that at the time.

Though a little weatherbeaten with time, the surviving stations still look as distinctively "Central" and classy as ever, some of the electrical towers in 3rd rail territory still stand, and yes, we still have a 3rd rail and that network expanded in post Central years. I do miss the creosote smell from the old wooden platforms though, and I smile when I recall the Conductor's call in the station of "New York Central ON TIME".

I rode along the Hudson River tonight, looking for remnants of one of my favourite Railroads, I saw many places reduced to mere platforms with plexiglass shelters, but the spectacular view is unchanged.

The ROW is active, the telegraph poles are gone, but the killers of the Central were wrong. What was once the Central, is now more vibrant with traffic than ever.

The Central will never die.

D/

by UpperHarlemLine4ever

Dieter, you couldn't have said it any better. The New York Central lives on.

by Gerry6309

Just think, it takes Metro North, MBTA, Amtrak, Chessie Syetem, Norfolk Southern, and a plethora of short lines to operate the pieces of that road which remain. By todays standards the NYC was a small railroad, yet look what they accomplished!

And to be fair, the other great eastern railroad died on the same day in the same frenzy of mating worms. :(