• Pittsburgh Suggestions....

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by benpsut

Not really looking into suggestions for actual Pittsburgh railfanning, but North of Pittsburgh and East of Pittsburgh. I don't want to go as far as Altoona just yet and I don't want to go all the way to Erie, so is there anywhere in between Pittsburgh-Altoona and Pittsburgh-Erie that is good to railfan for a day, or anywhere where ya wont get hassled, thanks in advance!

Ben
  by Ron Mele

benpsut wrote:Not really looking into suggestions for actual Pittsburgh railfanning, but North of Pittsburgh and East of Pittsburgh. I don't want to go as far as Altoona just yet and I don't want to go all the way to Erie, so is there anywhere in between Pittsburgh-Altoona and Pittsburgh-Erie that is good to railfan for a day, or anywhere where ya wont get hassled, thanks in advance!

Ben
Johnstown might be a good intermediate point between Pittsburgh and Altoona. It's enough of a tourist town (Johnstown Flood history) that a guy with a camera shouldn't attract too much attention. Between Pittsburgh and Erie, let me suggest New Castle. CSX has a fair size yard there and has a good amount of mainline action. Norfolk Southern's ex-CR Youngstown Line is across the river from CSX and you'll probably see several freights during daylight hours. If you like industrial roads, check out the New Castle Industrial Railroad. Hope this helps.

Ron Mele

by EMTRailfan

Ron is right about New Castle. Also check out Butler for some Bessemer and also Buffalo and Pittsburgh action.

by EMTRailfan

Ron is right about New Castle. Also check out Butler for some Bessemer and also Buffalo and Pittsburgh action.

by EMTRailfan

EMTRailfan wrote:Ron is right about New Castle. Also check out Butler for some Bessemer and also Buffalo and Pittsburgh action.

Sorry for the double. But since we're here check out Conway too.

by scotty269

The Sheraton Station Square Hotel, just across from Downtown Pittsburgh near where the three rivers meet. Rail runs just next to it, atleast it did a few years ago when I was there.

by scooter3798

Well, I guess I have to second the Johnstown suggestion being a resident. Plenty of NS action on the main and if you come on a weekday you can also catch the CSX local into town and the Conemaugh and Black Lick switching in what is left of the mills.

I would also suggest Connellsville and the west slope of Sand Patch, such as Ohio Pyle or Confluence. Over the past couple of years business has picked up at Connellsville as a lot of the rack and pig trains that run over Sand Patch will swap blocks of cars there, and there is also a local that works out of there to Rockwood, serving as a feeder to the S&C sub up to Johnstown. If you are lucky you can get some W&LE and South West Pennsylvania action there as well. Also plenty of easy access through out town.

By the way you aren't missing much in Altoona these days. However if you like vacant buildings, druggies, and black Dash 9's, then that is the place for you! If you are heading that far east Cumberland is a good choice. Just as much going on, and much more accessable (there is actually occupants in the buildings downtown as well).

Greensburg and Latrobe aren't too bad either, and there is also the yard at Pitcarin on NS. On CSX West Newton is an okay spot and there are a couple of places between there and Connellsville to the east. One place that I have found quite interesting is the small town of Dawson, the tracks split the town in half in sort of some psuedo street running.

Hope this helps

Scooter

by benpsut

thanks a bunch guys! Hopefully after may when i get my personal days ill take a couple to head out there during the week instead of the weekend. Unless the weekend traffic isnt that horribly light?