• Southeastern Ohio Operations

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by arachnid

I'm looking for information on NYCs operations in Southeastern Ohio, especially Meigs County. I am modeling circa 1955 and would like to know about locomotives, industries, trackage, and so on. I used to live in Meigs County, and my dad worked for NYC in Cleveland's Collinwood Yard.

by tocfan

Arachnid,
By 1955, steam was gone, the T&OC dieselized in 1950 except for the Federal Valley (abandoned in 1954) and a half dozen or so mines that would not let diesels in. But by 1955 that had been done away with. Most if not all freights were pulled by F3's and F7's (they had dynamic brakes while the GP7's and 9's did not. Switching, mine runs, etc were handled by mainly SW7's with a few SW1's thrown in. Passenger service went away at the end of 1949. Mark Plank has the unofficial Toledo and Ohio Central website which is a good spot to start looking. There is in interesting feature on that line in Meigs county between Albany and Hobson, there are 3 very short tunnels 150-300 ft long within a couple of miles which would be interesting to model. I think David Dupler may have some photos of them on his website but I can't think of the site name, just google his name.

Try to find an Ohio Central Div Employee Timetable from 1953-1957 and you can get a feel for traffic etc on the line.
Almost all business on the line from the Ohio river to New Lexington was coal, with lots of chemical traffic moving through from the Kanawha river valley in the Nitro and Charleston area.

Hope this helps.

Mike Fleming

by arachnid

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the help.