• West Shore Question/abandoned line New Baltimore-FeuraBush

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by the missing link

Iv'e seen this section on several maps and explored some of it. When was this abandoned? How was it used after the Castleton Cutoff and the yards were built?

by Noel Weaver

This was the original West Shore Main Line which ran west from Ravena.
I do not have the abandonment date in my head but I might be able to
narrow it down if someone else on here does not come up with an
answer in a few days.
Some of the old R of W is still visible in the area.
Noel Weaver

by kinlock

The piece of the original route between Feura Bush and Ravena through South Bethlehem was abandoned in sections over the years after Selkirk was originally built (1924) and when it was rebuilt (1967). Don't have the specific dates.

by LCJ

The section of West Shore line between South Bethlehem and Ravena was abandoned in the mid-1920s as the cut-off and Selkirk yard came about. The part between South Bethlehem and the receiving yard of Selkirk (the 1968 edition) was used up until the early 1970s as a supply line for crushed stone from Callanan's. Between Selkirk receiving yard and Fuera Bush was cut off when Selkirk was transformed in the late 1960s.

Back to the south end of the line in question -- the part of the right-of-way between about where the RCS Middle School now stands (where Albano Drive-in Theater once was) and New Baltimore, roughly following present-day Mountain Road (now called Fuller Rd, and truncated by the cement plant conveyor) and the present alignment of US 9W and a gas line south of Ravena to New Baltimore, was the original route that the Saratoga & Hudson River railroad took. That part was abandoned when the West Shore was constructed in the early- to mid-1880s, shifting the alignment east to where West Shore's sizable Ravena yard lay (along the present-day CSX River Sub location).

One of the buildings that was used for the Kearney Ford store on 9W was actually a freight house for the old S&HR (sometimes called the White Elephant Line).

As I've referenced here before, the S&HR was leased to West Shore by owner New York Central (it was called their Athens Branch) to form the portion of the West Shore line between Coxsackie and Fullers.

by the missing link

thanks guys! went by there again today, qualifying on the riverline right now. got the important and necessary stuff figured out, filling in all the fun little details. :-D