• PAR files some abandonments

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by NHN503

Claremont & Concord branch in Concord is up for chopping as well as the Canal Branch in CT.

Notices and filings have been posted on the STB.

by tom18287

pardon my ignorance here, but whats the point of abandoning a line? does it make it so you nolonger have to maintain the signals and crossings and such?

by Dick H

Most likely, GRS/PAR will be looking to sell the Claremont/Concord portion to the state of NH, unless there is some sort of developer that has plans along some portion of the line and needs the land from the line also.

Dick

by NHN503

Dick H wrote:Most likely, GRS/PAR will be looking to sell the Claremont/Concord portion to the state of NH, unless there is some sort of developer that has plans along some portion of the line and needs the land from the line also.

Dick
State has already given up the first right of refusal on the C&C in these proceedings.

by Dick H

Ian: Thanks for the news on the C&C. Could you be a bit more specific on which trackage is involved, such as where it begins and ends and maybe the approximate length? Thanks...

Dick

by NHN503

Just a tad under 2 miles... I think like 1.82 miles. Starts under the Exit 15 bridge in Concord splitting off from the Northern and running along the street by the State Prison. Not much too it, but the part off the Northern is a good place to store cars.

by thebigham

Here's a topo map of the C&C track in Concord:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=43. ... &layer=DRG

It's the track to the left of the Horshoe Pond.

Chris

by edbac333

Ian-(et al)
Do you know exactly what the Canal branch in Connecticut or where I could find out?
Thanks,
Ed

by Noel Weaver

edbac333 wrote:Ian-(et al)
Do you know exactly what the Canal branch in Connecticut or where I could find out?
Thanks,
Ed
The Canal Line originally ran between New Haven and Westfield and
beyond. There is just a little bit left in Plainville. It crossed the
Waterbury Line on a diamond at Plainville.
Noel Weaver

by Lincoln78

There is still Canal line track in Plainville/Southington (I-84 crosses west of 10/Queen street).

The ROW in Avon/Simsbury/Granby/West Suffield is rail trail.