• NYC Heavyweight Coach Interior

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by jeremimus

Hi, I'm currently scratch-building an n scale NYC heavyweight coach (#2385 from Canada Southern datafile) and I would like to know about the interior colors. The period would be the 1940s green finish before the use of two-tone grays.

Can anybody tell me the colors of the seat upholstery, walls and floor? Incidentally, I have already scratch-built a baggage car and RPO and will be airbrushing them in one go.

BTW, are there any available n scale decals for the 1938 Century passenger car consists?

Thanks in advance from an NYC fan in the land down under!

by R Paul Carey

To answer your question, I'll have to rely on memory from the 1950's (so far as I can recall, the heavyweight coaches that were "cascaded" down to commuter service - 1800-2300 series - all had the same interior treatment):

The seats (they were Hale & Kilburn 2-2) were upholstered in a high-pile plush, similar to a wide-wale corduroy, that was a dark blue-green. The material wore like steel, and several of these cars had slipcovers applied in the 1960's and served into the early 1970's

The interior walls were a light tan, and the floors were covered, IIRC, with a charcoal gray (almost black) marbelized asphalt tile.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

by jeremimus

Thanks Paul, a most detailed and speedy reply! I'll get cracking with the paint! :-)