• Light Rail on streets

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by Arborwayfan

There's also a stretch of shared street running on the "Pre-Metro" in Buenos Aires.
  by ljeppson

In downtown SLC, Trax runs in the street entirely, but that's just downtown. Once out of downtown, it uses the route of the former Union Pacific Provo subdivision, completely away from streets, allowing for fast operating speeds.

BTW, Trax is currently being extended from the Jazz arena to the Intermodal Hub (buses, Trax, Frontrunner commuter rail). The street construction techniques are very interesting. I'll get some pictures of the construction and post them on my website.
  by ljeppson

The first link on my website is to a series of photos showing new Trax street construction in SLC. Note that even though Trax trackage is covered in the street, Trax largely has private ROW in the street except for certain left turn lanes. I think you will find the track detail photos interesting.

by ljeppson

Here are some additional photos showing the incredible complexity of light rail street costruction - UTA Trax.

www.utahtransit.us/400westnew1.htm