• Q-174 (Boston Line) question

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by roberttosh

Has anybody noticed how big a train Q-174 has been lately on its run over the Boston Line? I know up until a couple years back this train was usually pathetically small (5-15 trailers/containers) and am wondering if CXST was ever able to grow the business, as before the Conrail split they boasted about how much truck traffic they would be able to take off of I-95. Thanks!

by johnpbarlow

I'm not sure how up to date The Bull Sheet web site is but it currently shows that Q174 terminates in N. Bergen. I haven't seen Q174 in recent months but IIRC it was almost always light engines east of Worcester.

by B&A_Railfan

The Q174 does terminate in N. Bergen. There running a new train called L172 to replace the Q174. I think it runs every Monday.

by CSX Conductor

Yes, Mondays only. They're also looking to get rid of Q167, putting the UPS on Q115, which would leave Boston after Q117. They also want to get rid of Q116. :(

by johnpbarlow

If they eliminate Q116, how will the bare tables get from Worcester to Beacon Park? ;-)

But seriously, are the NS/PAR intermodal trains drawing traffic away (eg, JBHU) from CSX?

by roberttosh

johnpbarlow wrote:But seriously, are the NS/PAR intermodal trains drawing traffic away (eg, JBHU) from CSX?
NS/PAR has taken away most of the Hunt & Schneider traffic (as well as some International business) and CSXT has taken such big increases on the International side that their container counts into New England are only a shadow of their former self. Still, I'd be a bit surprised if they ditched two trains each way.