Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Jeff Smith

Paul1705 wrote:Many of the el stations in the Bronx on the 1, 2, and 4 lines have been rebuilt recently. I suspect most of the present elevated lines are going to be around for a long time to come.

The have been modern elevated lines built in various places - Vancouver, British Columbia, and Monterrey, Mexico, come to mind. However, I have a hard time imagining something like that getting through the political climate in New York.
I agree. The benefits to Manhattan neighborhoods when El's were tore down are too great to ignore. For now, you're looking at maintaining only. As for tearing down outer-borough el's, what would they be replaced with? LRT? Buses? Subways? I don't see it happening.

by Paul1705

I didn't think Manhattan would ever get new elevated lines. But the neighborhoods around SkyTrain in Vancouver do look somewhat like areas in parts of the Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn. (I'm going by photographs of the system that are posted on-line.

Of course, I assume community politics are very different in Vancouver. The system in a new one, and there are no neighborhood "memories" of the old structures we had (and still have) in New York.