• They're here... CSX ES44AH's

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by CSX-Dan5377

CSX 719 and 720 went threw today on Q380

Also, On a Side Note the Detector in Brighton is down and the Dispatcher had to be the detector for the day. The one in Churchville has been changed so it just now is just says "CHURCHVILLE" without the CONRAIL before it.

Just thought I would share :-)

by scharnhorst

CSX-Dan5377 wrote:CSX 719 and 720 went threw today on Q380

Also, On a Side Note the Detector in Brighton is down and the Dispatcher had to be the detector for the day. The one in Churchville has been changed so it just now is just says "CHURCHVILLE" without the CONRAIL before it.

you'll here that on occation with the Centerport Detector some times it reads out with "CONRAIL" in its opening message and outher days it dose not. I wonder if it gets accdentley reprogramed in when the detectors are being worked on??

by CSX-Dan5377

Possibly I thought that the wind or something screwed around with my reception but after the 4th time I came to discover it was not. But I don't know maybe that is the case :-)

Dan

by Conrail4evr

scharnhorst wrote:
CSX-Dan5377 wrote:CSX 719 and 720 went threw today on Q380

you'll here that on occation with the Centerport Detector some times it reads out with "CONRAIL" in its opening message and outher days it dose not. I wonder if it gets accdentley reprogramed in when the detectors are being worked on??
Why would a detector be affected from another one being worked on? There's no real "link" between them (and if there is, nothing even close to those capabilities). I suspect it's like Lyons, where it's different for both tracks...keep tabs on which track says what, I'd be willing to bet that's it.
CSX-Dan5377 wrote:Possibly I thought that the wind or something screwed around with my reception but after the 4th time I came to discover it was not. But I don't know maybe that is the case :-)

Dan
The wind isn't going to affect your reception at all (unless it blows something on to the antenna and destroys it :wink:). Speaking VERY broadly, you'll generally get better reception on cloudy days than sunny days...but, that's a very general rule, and as usual, there's exceptions to it.

Churchville, Brighton, E. Palmyra, and Lyons all lack "Conrail" now. Coldwater still has it, and I haven't heard Pittsford in a while since they haven't ran much of anything down the Shore when I've been out lately. Since they're required to identify themselves, look for these to say "CSX" at the beginning shortly, if not replaced outright with the Batavia style detector. Within a few years, any signs of the Conrail split-up will be gone...no more Conrail detectors, no more Conrail painted power (except perhaps a rare few), no more leasors used to ease power shortages resulting from the split-up, etc...it'll be a CSX-filled world. Shortlines, here I come!

by CSX-Dan5377

Alright well so much for the wind idea, and I guess I see what you mean Nick. I was hearing all the way to CP 410+ yesterday and about CP 349 while trains where calling signals ect., and the Overcast Day must haver been why.

by Mike Walsh

Mike Walsh wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:What are "DPU operations?"

-otto-
obviously not a mountain-territory railfan, whatsoever.

DPU = Dynamic Propulsion Unit, or some other acronym.

Basically, a remotely operated PUSHER that is USUALLY kept with the train.

It's common on the Union Pacific's Jefferson City sub, through St. Louis. There's a 1% (or so) ruling grade for 2 miles through Kirkwood, MO (which is the peak of the grade, btw)... and you can always hear the DPU rumbling.. but by the time it passes you at the depot, it's not rumbling so hard anymore since the train is already over the hill.

So yeah, there you have it. a pusher unit. simple. :)
(the above message is quoted from the 1st page of this thread)

Here's a photo that I took the other day in Kirkwood, MO..

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=213760

SD9043MAC shoving hard against a coal train, about to crest the hill.

regards..
mike

by NorfolkSouthernSean

In case anyone was wondering the GE Order number for the first block of 100 is 1924 and the serials run 58294 - 58393.

by roadster

Had the 721 on Q633-01 Saturday evening. I am impreesed with these units. Still has the typical GE throttle lag, but the dynamics are very responsive and powerful, in contrast to the ES44dc's. I also took note to look at the unit designation on the side of the cab and it is a ES44AC. However, I did see a 5110 cw60ac last week and it had it's designation altered to cw60AH.

by NorfolkSouthernSean

roadster wrote:Had the 721 on Q633-01 Saturday evening. I am impreesed with these units. Still has the typical GE throttle lag, but the dynamics are very responsive and powerful, in contrast to the ES44dc's. I also took note to look at the unit designation on the side of the cab and it is a ES44AC. However, I did see a 5110 cw60ac last week and it had it's designation altered to cw60AH.
5110 is a CW44AH. The ES44AC's have the extended range dynamics. All three grids are used. The DC's have standard dynamics with only two grids.

by CSX-Dan5377

Well I went out today and Caught E832 and Q626 Both with New ES44AC’s.

by roadster

My bad, thats what i get for trying to read these4's at night and upside down. But I had another 5100 serie unit a couple days ago and it also was designated CW44AH. I have yet to see another type redesignated this way. I stress, "YET".

by Conrail4evr

Well, after having the opportunity to talk with a few guys, I recieved some initial feedback on these units, and it isn't good. Apparently, they have a very bad habit of stalling, specifically that the smallest bit of wheelslip will cause them to lose their load and stall (I know this is supposed to be quite a frequent problem on the Boston Line). Any feedback from you guys (meaning guys who run them for a living [or at least sit in that seat across from that guy])?

Also, I have to give the ES44AH name some merit, as these units ARE being delivered at 432,000 lbs. with special software to provide an additional 20,000 lbs. of tractive effort at speeds below 7.8 MPH. That and other (CSX) sources designate them at ES44AH's, even if it's not painted on the side of the units themselves. So, I guess both sides are right...

by CSXT 700

The 758, 748, 765, & 751 came up to Detroit yesterday, and have already headed back. The 765 & 751 headed back east on Q216, and the 758 & 748 have appeared to head south on Q245

by Norm P

Mike Walsh wrote:

obviously not a mountain-territory railfan, whatsoever.

DPU = Dynamic Propulsion Unit, or some other acronym.

Basically, a remotely operated PUSHER
Not all mountain territories use DPUs. On the EK and CV subs the coal trains that require pushers use manned helpers.

I always heard DPU as "Distributed Power Unit"