• Guilford embargo on Peabody line?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by AutisticPsycho

These two photos on NERAIL mention a Hydrochloric Acid scandal involving Eastman Gelatine and Guilford and that's it been shut down since about 1995/96?

Any info on this? Shed some light?

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... y=bnsfgp38
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic?photo= ... y=bnsfgp38

by highrail

The line is still active. To my knowledge, no tank cars of acid move over the line since that article you mentioned. Eastman Gelatine still receives covered hoppers of, I think, bone meal, or some similar materials.

There are a couple moves per week. I can usually catch the train on Fridays, often late mornings. Eastman is the only customer.

Tha line beyond Eastman has been severed due to a washout a couple years ago. The washout was repaired, but the tracks were not re-connected. There is another thread on this forum on that topic.

I have not seen any storage of cars for Eastman in the salem area, as they used to be. Not sure where the local is picking them up, although I thought I had spotted them in Boston, near Sullivan station.

Steve

by highrail

As a follow up...

I had only looked at the first of your 2 photo links. The first photo relates to the line that runs toward Peabody and eastman gelatine.

The second photo relates to the line that runs from Peabody to Danvers and on to Wakefield Junction. This section is indeed out of service, and has been for some time. There are a couple other threads related to this section too. This is the same line that crosses overhead on Route 114 in Danvers by the McDonalds. I think that the last service on this line was from Wakefield to a box company in Wakefield.

Steve

by csrrfan86

I thought that the acid leaked in Somerville? I know that stopped acid cars from coming up to Peabody. Also had something to do with no cars being left in that small yard in Salem. Now it takes 2-3 trucks to equal 1 tank car.

by cabooser

highrail wrote:The line is still active. To my knowledge, no tank cars of acid move over the line since that article you mentioned. .....There are a couple moves per week. I can usually catch the train on Fridays, often late mornings. Eastman is the only customer.

Steve
Eastman is NOT the only customer, highrail. There are plenty of moves of tankers at a company directly across the tracks from California Olive Oil Co.'s old siding. There are 2 there now. At least 2 or 3 times a week the amount of tankers from none to 1 to 2. I'm not sure of the name of the company and/or what they ship receive. Check them out.

by csrrfan86

The company is called Univar and they make chemicals. They are in the old Castle Hill Yard in Salem.

www.univarusa.com

by tom18287

that picture said the newburyport line did service until 96. they must have come the other way. i dont think a trains crossed route one in peabody in 20 years.

by csrrfan86

The Eastmen branch is called the South Reading branch and now ends where Bicknell and Fuller used to be. The Newburyport branch starts in Wakefield and hasnt been used in years although I remember seeing a geep and some boxcars on that line when I was a kid (which wasnt too long ago) crossing rt. 1. Check out this page I found www.oldrr.com. Its very informative.

by tom18287

how long ago do you think that was? im 20, i've never seen one, or never saw one, rather :(

by consist

Couple of clarifications...
1) Eastman acid issues: There are 3 hydrochloric acid tanker incidents I'm aware of that involved Eastman's consist.
-One car leaked in Yard 7 (Somerville/East Cambridge) in the late 90's, a school was evacuated, no injuries.
-Much more recently, a car leaked in Sullivan Station, closing the station for hours. This got anti-hazmat folks' dander up.
-A third HCl tanker derailed in Salem right near the plant. Low speed, no tipping, no leak, but city officials got angry about hazmat concerns and cited the Sullivan incident as ammo for their argument. After that it went to trucks. Eastman still gets the hoppers of bones which usually stop over at yard 8 or trackage near the BET and Sullivan. And yes, Univar in Salem still sees small tank traffic; they used to do much more in the 90's.
2) I saw Guilford switching on the Newburyport line in the mid-90s at the EARLIEST. I was driving on 114 and was arrested by the sight of a big G loco on the trestle overhead. I parked, walked up, ran into and talked to the brakeman about the atrocious condition of the rail, and he said they had already derailed twice (that job, that day). They had a few boxcars and I believe they were for a beer customer a little ways north of the 114 trestle. Just south of that trestle was chemical customer Ventron, who used to get molten sodium cars, but they may have been all done by 1990.
3) Remember that branch lines die off from the extremities back toward the trunk in most cases. The last switcher on the Wakefield branch rolled in the spring of 2001, to the Smurfit Stone container place just north of rte 128. But the line north/east of there had been dead for a long time before that, and probably went in sections as the more distant customers died one by one.

by csrrfan86

Tom-Well I'm only 21 so I was probably like 5 or so last time I saw a train across Rt. 1.

Consist-Another customer on the Wakefield branch received paper near Merrimack Distributors. Not sure of the name.....