• CSX slug set in Buffalo.

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by scottychaos

Came across an interesting set of power yesterday! :P
units I dont normally get to see, since I live in Rochester.

CSX SD38-2S 2445 "mother" and MT-6 slug 1018.

2445 is classed as a SD38-2S, but she began life as a SD40-2,
(de-rated to become a SD38) so she has the three SD40-2 fans on the roof rather than two for a "true" SD38.

2445 was ex- CSX SD40-2 2445, CSX 8195, nee L&N 3567.

MT-6 slug 1018 was built by Conrail in 1979 from an Alco RSD-15,
originally PRR 6813.

http://crcyc.railfan.net/locos/alco/rsd15/xpc6813ef.jpg

Scot

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

nice pictures scotty, for future pictures, please post here:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37581

whats that antenna on the head end of the unit? is that for remote control?

by Conrail4evr

Last I knew, there were three of these sets working in Buffalo. Whenever I've been there lately, there's been one set working up at Bailey Ave. and two sets working the hump.

by scotty269

That is very weird. What is that small unit?

by Conrail4evr

TheOneCalledA1 wrote:That is very weird. What is that small unit?
That's the slug that everyone's talking about.

by scotty269

I know that it is a slug. I'm asking what is a slug? Is it a locomotive without a cab?

by conrail_engineer

A slug is a frame with traction motors, with weight placed where the prime mover would be on a locomotive. It draws current off the generator of the locomotive it's mated to.

CSX has quite a few road slugs; and Conrail made low-cut yard slugs out of quite a few of their old Alcos many years ago.

It's not a bad idea. One diesel; twice the traction. I'm not clear on what changes have to be made to the generator and exciter to provide the extra power; but those things do work well.

by jlr3266

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:whats that antenna on the head end of the unit? is that for remote control?
Looks like a grab iron to me.

by SOU2645

CSX's "SD38-2S" program is identical to the "GP38-2S" derating involving GP40-2's. They are locking up the turbocharger - which remains intact. The units are derated to 2300hp. True 38's are non turbo.
Larry

by CSX Engineer 98

The Slugs weight (Ballist) for traction effort is made up of Concrete Slabs under the Hood the lenght of the frame. I got a peek at one in Cumberland MD. when I attended Engineer School.

CSX also Converted in the late 80's: GP-30's and 35's into Road Slugs with operational Control leading slug units with Chopped older U- Boats called "Mates" and used them in the Bone Valley and Coal country areas.

by MuddyAxles

It's a hump set. The long arm is the antenna for the remote control equipment. Also note the amber light on the cab roof...another RCO clue.

Most locomotives are limited at low speed (under 6 or so) not by their power output but by traction or ability to grip the rail. This type slug just helps spread the available power over more powered axles to give more starting tractive effort; also more stopping ability.

These were run backing up when run by an engineer; the low hooded slug aided in rearward visibility. They run 'em cab away from the cut of cars when by remote.

by Malley

We see a lot of converted GP 30 road slugs on Sand Patch and the C&S to Johnstown. The 'Hooversville Flyer' habitually has a road slug.
IIRC, slugs only work up to 12 mph.
Malley

by gprimr1

I saw this unit from the Maple Leaf last spring.

by scooter3798

Malley wrote:We see a lot of converted GP 30 road slugs on Sand Patch and the C&S to Johnstown. The 'Hooversville Flyer' habitually has a road slug.
The road slug sets usually rotate between Cumberland, Riverton, Connellsville and Hagerstown on a regular basis, and the D703 (aka "Johnstown Jet", "Hooversville Flyer", "Rockwood Switcher") usually warrants a set, or a combination of a set and another geep. Cumberland also has two sets assigned to yard service (2221/6446 and 2271/6497), both of which are equipped for remote operation. Also Connellsville/Rockwood local D772, the "feeder" for the S&C Sub's D703, also is usually powered by a set. The sets also are often used for yard power in C-Ville, Riverton, and Hagerstown, and the locals that work out of those yards. They also seem to show up regularly on mineral trains coming off of some of the lighter branches off of the Cumberland and Keystone Subs, like the Rock Runners off the Shenandoah Sub at Harpers Ferry, and coal trains off the Sailsbury Branch at Meyersdale, PA, although this is not as common an assignment as the local work for the Road Slugs.

Scooter

by Tadman

They look good in CSX's modern version of the Pere Marquette colors, but I sure miss seeing them in Elkhart yard, which is now mostly NS SD38's, with a back-to-back pair shoving the hump.