• Watertown branch action

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by rb

It's alive!

On my way to the Watertown RMV, I was shocked to see the nose of a GP40 sticking out into the one grade crossing in Watertown. Looked like they were shoving 4 or so loads up the Newlywed spur. And now, a la Conrail and the NYAR, they're running push-pull on the line! No conductors riding shoves here. The second loco, idling in the weeds, had a 200-series road #. Does that make it a GP38?

No camera, of course.
  by MEC407

rb wrote:The second loco, idling in the weeds, had a 200-series road #. Does that make it a GP38?
If its number was 252, then yes, it was a GP38. Otherwise, it was a GP35.

by NellsChoo

WHAT??????????

You lucky STIFF!!!

I have been DIEING to see that!!!

Was this the crossing that heads into weeds next to a repair garage? I forget the street name... I MUST know!!!

Please email me with any more info that will make me more jealous at [email protected]!!

Jonelle

PS: THIS is why I have a disposible camera in my car at all times! :wink:

by MEC407

NellsChoo wrote:PS: THIS is why I have a disposible camera in my car at all times! :wink:
Yup, same here. :-) The pics never come out very well, due to the very nature of disposable cameras... but sometimes a bad pic is better than no pic. ;)

38!

by rb

Hey Jonelle and all.

I'm pretty sure it was the 252 idling in the weeds. Can't believe what I saw!

If anyone has ANY info on G running out to Watertown this week, email me: [email protected]. I might not have a chance to shoot them again before next summer. And who knows when the branch will finally die?

Rob

by FatNoah

And also me: [email protected]

by MEC407

Better yet, just post the info HERE and then we'll ALL know about it. :-D
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by rb

No one ever does! Can you imagine 10 of us showing up at that crossing with cameras this Friday morning?

If anyone has info, please post!

by NellsChoo

Hmmm... THAT would sure look cute! HA! Then we could compare stories we gave to get out of work!

by octr202

This morning, about 7 AM, I heard a very loud locomotive horn in Watertown. It sounded much louder than what you might hear from the Fitchburg Line up in Belmont or West Cambridge. It was also clearly blowing a grade crossing signal. Unfortunately, I had to be at work this morning, so I didn't have time to investigate down by the branch in Watertown, and I couldn't see anything clearly from the bus on Mt. Auburn St.

So, a definate possible remote maybe that they were down there -- although that seems odd that they'd be working the branch during the morning rush.

by FatNoah

I heard that too, but I don't think it had anything to do with Newlyweds. I live just off Mt. Auburn St. not too far from the Tufts building (and hence, Newlyweds). Occasionally I heard a loud horn like today. It is usually followed by the sound of some serious diesel engine acceleration, which leads me to believe it's from CSX freights leaving Beacon Park.

After the horn this morning, I heard some serious diesel rumbling so I think it was NOT Guilford.

by octr202

That must ahve been it -- it just seemed louder than what I normally hear from CSXT on the other side of the river. The wind must have been just right.

by NellsChoo

I heard a rather non-T horn this moring as well, but closer to about 7:15 or so. It would have been near Hills Crossing, which has a (stupid) whistle ban. On my way to work, I drove down to West Cambridge to see if anything was going on. No hoppers, but I did see a tiny tanker over by the Amtrak maintanance facility. Not sure if Guilford or the T would have dropped it there. All I know is, if that horn was indeed connected to Guilford on the Watertown branch, I will SCREAM!! SO CLOSE!!!
  by rb

Couldn't have been on the Watertown.

I had to pick some stuff up in Harvard Sq and biked down Mt Auburn to have a look at the rails. Totally rusted (concurrent with about a week's worth of no use), and there was a 6" thick branch lying across the tracks.

Tomorrow HAS to be the day.

So...if BO-1 goes to Watertown on Fridays, what does it do the rest of the week?