• The Type 8 Discussion to End All Discussions(Type 8 tracker)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by AEM7AC920

I saw 3802 at Gov't center this afternoon. Great Pics nice to see a BREDA TO THE RESCUE. :D

by jwhite07

3870 was accepted recently. That brings it up to 37 Type 8s in service.
Last edited by jwhite07 on Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by AEM7AC920

Finally regular service on the E line! :-D

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

how many are in service now?

by MBTAFan

I have not seen a single Breda on the C line in the last two days! I think since the Type 8's have been approved for North Station they must have been moved back to the B line (not sure though). Back to Boeings and unmodified Type 7s on the C. It was nice while it lasted. I hope they start accepting more Type 8's soon.

by MBTAFan

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:how many are in service now?
37 are in service. 6 are at Riverside in acceptance testing.

Also from the vehicle inventory page:

"August 20, 2004-Type 8s began operating to North Station and began operating in revenue service for the first time on E Heath St.-Huntington Ave. service. Cars can now operate in regular service on all lines except D Riverside. Operation of Type 8s on D Riverside line will require the completion of additional track repair work. Cars can make non-revenue moves between Reservoir and Riverside carhouses."

So the E line stole all of the Bredas from the C :-P

by AEM7AC920

Anyone see the modified type 7 that has the red paint i think it's 3659 or something.

by jwhite07

Yeah, it's 3659. Instead of being repainted as part of the mod program (like 3622 and 3682 were), it was simply ad-wrapped. Bodywork and repaint is apparently not part of the mod program anymore.

by Robert Paniagua

Well guys, I've got some somber news to report, but an M8, didn't get the number, has once again jumped off the trackage at Northeastern on the E line, so therefore, I dont know if they are gonna take them out or leave them on, I hope the latter, since I guess the E line wasn't use to seeing a Type 8 in ages.

by octr202

Have any T8's moved back to the B line? I did see a two car train of T8's arriving at North Sta. on Saturday evening. Didn't get car numbers.

by AEM7AC920

I caguht 3870 running a one car last night on the B line. We are back to 35 in service with 3806 and 3841 out of service now :( I'm wondering why the T has never fixed 3807 from the derailment before.

by MBTAFan

octr202 wrote:Have any T8's moved back to the B line? I did see a two car train of T8's arriving at North Sta. on Saturday evening. Didn't get car numbers.
I have indeed seen some Type 8's on the B line. They seem to be on both the B and C now, but much less on the C than before.

by AEM7AC920

A lot of Breda action on the B line tonight. I managed to catch 3858/3875, 3812/3682, and 3809 running a single.
  by octr202

This morning I was around the Green Line a lot, and saw almost no Bredas. Driving from Celeveland Circle down Beacon St. I saw one set of T8's deadheading from Reservoir up to the B Line, and that was it. The C was all Boeings and T7's. I took the D Line in from Brookline Village on a Boeing train (to me that's better than getting a T8 -- how many more good chances to catch the Boeings), and saw no T8's in the tunnel until I saw a lone B train loading at Park St. Also, there was a pair of modified T7's at Cleveland Cir. in the "layover spot" in the middle of the street, and another pair running outbound near Boylston -- but none that I saw matched up with Bredas.

Funny thing is, this morning was the first quick and easy trip I've had on the Green Line in quite some time, and the first time I haven't seen many Bredas. Coincidence?

by orange1234

I took a Breda from North Station to Copley station today with fear and paranoia of the train derailing because the operator was driving so fast. When I went back to Park St., I saw a Breda trainlined with a modified Type 7. I've been thinking...most of these Type 8 derailments have something to do with the center truck. Perhaps there isn't enough weight on the center truck to keep it on the tracks.