• Guilford loses Ford pact at Ayer

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Jonny Bolt

cpf354 wrote:
Jonny Bolt wrote:LMAO, Gillfid is a riot. Looks like everyone got "Finked" again.
Oh please, enough Guilford bashing! :wink: Guilford was the big loser here. The revenue generated by the auto rack traffic was pretty substantial. This isn't a situation like the oft-discussed handful of carloads a week Watertown Branch customer. They lost the traffic because CSX shifted the unloading to their own Framingham facility. As may have been discussed before, the auto traffic depends solely on which carrier has the contract with the manufacturer. CSX has Ford, plus a number of others. There wasn't anything Guilford could do about it. They don't have any assembly plants on line. They wanted to expand at the Willows in the hope NS would be getting a contract to haul auto racks; the Hoosac Tunnel clearances were improved to allow covered racks, but NS hasn't brought them the traffic. So is that the fault of Mellon and Fink? They can be justly tarred and feathered for a lot of things, but not this.
Maybe so, but the overall management of Gillfid throughout the years has brought about its own dismay, including things like this. I mean, in my estimation and honest opinion, I cannot think of any other industry or trade where this style of management & operation would've been kept intact for this long with the loss of so many cutomers, both current and potential, amongst other things. Certain individuals REPEATEDLY prove to us that bad business practices rule at Gillfid....err "Pan Am". Gillfid often reminded of one of those "Where's the damn money going" businesses......maybe some pockets are being lined, but the overall consensus is that Gillfid isn't one of the best operated and represented railroads lol. When you have the wrong people running the operation, things usually tend not to go smoothly.

Good points too John!

by mick

Guilford
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Skullitor

NellsChoo wrote:More good points... and trains heading out of Hill Yard for Worcester are STILL very slow, by the way :wink: :wink:
Lately Q-427(POSE) is down to around 30 cars.It used to run around 100+ a few years ago.Eastbound Q-426(SEPO) is about the same.Sad huh?
  by KEN PATRICK

my earlier post about csxt at hill has been answered in part. q427 & q426 se-portland-se are merchandise and can handle trash. what times do they work hill yard? is there a csxt hill block presently?
  by Skullitor

KEN PATRICK wrote:my earlier post about csxt at hill has been answered in part. q427 & q426 se-portland-se are merchandise and can handle trash. what times do they work hill yard? is there a csxt hill block presently?
Ken; PanAm usually leaves blocks of cars for CSX up on the Stoney Brook in a siding.There are no trash cars that I've ever seen on Q-426 or Q-427.Blocks also in the Hill Yard.

by consist

Where is the Stoney Brook siding?

by johnpbarlow

Graniteville area of Westford between Town Farm Rd and Depot St.

by newpylong

Skullitor wrote:
NellsChoo wrote:More good points... and trains heading out of Hill Yard for Worcester are STILL very slow, by the way :wink: :wink:
Lately Q-427(POSE) is down to around 30 cars.It used to run around 100+ a few years ago.Eastbound Q-426(SEPO) is about the same.Sad huh?

Not so much less traffic, but more being routed over the West-end instead of via CSX.