• Jim Thorpe area - October 14th

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by OCtrainguy

I was up in the Jim Thorpe area on October 14th. I stopped in Lehighton at about nine o'clock in the morning and saw no trains laying over there and no freight cars either. It was completely empty. Where is the NS/R&N interchange? Is it a little further north by where the old warehouse(?) used to be?

The next stop was Nesquehoning to see the R&N special from Port Clinton. After that, some time was spent in Jim Thorpe before heading to the Lehigh Gorge State Park.

Here are the photos: http://octrainguy.rrpicturearchives.net ... x?id=26313
  by colincrow13

Are there any freight lines parallel to the tourist line?

by OCtrainguy

Yes, there is. The NS line to Scranton runs parallel to the R&N trackage. While no expert on this area, from what I have been told, most of the activity runs at night. There is a local out of Allentown Yard that goes up to Hazelton, the R&N job in the area, the NS trains 12T/13T (I think that's correct) and the CP trains to/from Oak Island (NJ) and Philadelphia.

This is what was presented to me so if there are any corrections, please post them. I will definitely be heading up there again and am always hopeful to see a freight train. Also, there is an article on this area in the November issue of Railpace. I saw the magazine, but didn't buy it yet .

by Andyt293

Ownership of the line that the NS uses to reach Scranton from Allentown effectively ends at CP Independence which is located near M&H junction where the NS line to Hazleton branches off. I believe that most of the NS traffic is being routed from over the Sunbury line from Harrisburg.