• Traffic on LNE line north of Allentown

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by carajul

When does the train make the trip up and back along the LNE line from Allentown Yard (at the Bethlehem station) north to Bath? The rails look well maintained, they are shiny, NS does maint on them frequently, but in 30+ years of criss crossing those tracks in Bath I've never seen one darn train!

Mike Bednar once told me in the 1970s there was still enough cement biz to warrant 3 jobs a day on that line.

by Trails to Rails

carajul:

I'm sorry I can't give you specific times but I fish along the Monocasy Creek a lot and see a train almost every time I fish. Most of the time I catch one headed to Bath in the am; like 10-11 am and I just checked a fishing log and noted a return trip @ 3-3:30 pm.

The last few entries in my fishing log for the Monocasy have a note about a train and they were all Tuesdays so maybe it's just a coincidence that I'm picking that day to fish and happen to see a train but I would bet that a Tuesday would be a good bet.

I see a lot of lumber on those runs; possibly headed to 84 Lumber in Stockertown.

by SemperFidelis

My ex-wife and I owned a house on East North Street, just up the road from the Union Avenue grade crossing. We moved in during a very cold winter, and I must say some of my fondest memories were sitting up late at night, talking in our bed by candle-light in the cold, listening to the close sounds of the diesel horns signalling late at night (usually 11PM or so).

Pardon the artistic license, but on a snowy night, it really was quite a treat.

Anyway, I think you'll have luck at night. I'd imagine the railroad doesn't want to foul the many grade crossings during the day as the traffic in the area is getting to be quite bad.

by Trails to Rails

carajul:

Two recent observations:

10-04-07 13:10 - @ Bridal Path Road (Southbound)

10-05-07 09:15 - @ Illic's Mill Road (Northbound)

10-05-07 12:30 - @ Illic's Mill Road (Southbound)

I believe the movements I saw on Friday were a pair of locos deadheading but I was too busy fishing to pay much attention. Daytime hours; especially Tuesdays at 09:00-11:00 is a pretty safe bet to catch a train.
  by IRN750

The local which runs on this track is called h75 and is on duty 700am in Allentown Mon thru Friday. On Mon and Wed. they take a train from Allentown yard out to Stockertown and taxi back leaving their power next to the junk yard at Stockertown They usally get out of Allentown around 830 to 900am and work their way to Stockertown. On Tues& Thurs the crew will taxi from Allentown to Stockertown and do work from Stockertown to Uhlers and work back into Allentown yard. On Friday they try and make a round trip from Allentown to Stockertown and back times to see them various places depends on what customers they have to do on any given day