• NH&I - What's next? Catenary?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by NJT4272

I see that the NH&I has brought the SEPTA Blueliner #9125 up to New Hope.

I'd swear that the pantograph was brand new!

So, how long before the catenary poles start going up?

Does anybody know what they're planning for her?
  by Franklin Gowen

NJT4272 wrote:I see that the NH&I has brought the SEPTA Blueliner #9125 up to New Hope.

I'd swear that the pantograph was brand new!

So, how long before the catenary poles start going up?

Does anybody know what they're planning for her?
Well, you could ask them yourself via email: [email protected] :P

I'll hazard a guess that 9125 was purchased for conversion to an engine-hauled passenger coach. I believe that several of the other coaches were actually converted from the 1931 electric MUs or just a repaint of plain-vanilla coaches originally hauled by RDG steam and diesel power.

It's also possible that 9125 was bought with the intention of using it as a crew rider car in work-train service, in which role it was last used by SEPTA (note retrofit with end ladder & modern pantograph).

As for adding an electric traction overhead system to the NH&I, I feel reasonably confident in saying that it will never happen. Not unless the present operators give up all desire of running a lucrative tourist-oriented line (and minor freight shortline) and sell to SEPTA. And only if SEPTA actually wants to buy it for commuter service (THAT'll be the day. Ha! :-D ). Considering how light the population density is north of Ivyland, there's no rational economic basis for even dreaming about such a change in ownership, let alone catenary to New Hope.

Just as an aside, it's worth reminding everyone that the NH&I purchased the New Hope Branch above Ivyland directly from the Reading Company in 1966. SEPTA has never been involved in the internal affairs of the NH&I. Even the seasonal, lukewarm arrangement for meeting certain few NH&I "Fall Foliage" trains at Warminster in recent years is a freak exception to business as usual. With their many, well-documented crises making for a full plate, don't look for SEPTA to be expanding the railroad system any time soon - least of all in this direction.

by 56-57

Methinks that pantograph is in good shape because SEPTA used it to ground the wire while working... Now if it appeared since the car's arrival at the NH&I, then i stand corrected.

by glennk419

The pantograph was used strictly for grounding the catenary when 9125 served as the crew / tool car for Septa's wire train. My guess is that it won't last long and that the NH&I will probably sell it for more than they paid for the whole car (rumored to be $300.00). Previous postings also indicated that the car still has an operable control stand and was purchased for use as a cab car for (obviously) diesel push-pull operations. My guess is that it will soon be rehabbed and come out in the railroad's attractive passenger livery. Still nice to see an ex-RDG car on ex-RDG rails, even if it never operated that far under its' own power.

by JimBoylan

Notice that the Electric Company poles between Hatboro and Almshouse Rd. are designed for catenary. The poles just North of Almshouse Rd. are offset to allow for a small MU storage yard on the West side of the line.
  by trainspot

I read elsewhere new windows for car 1430 were being built on the 9125, it was easier to bring the whole car to New Hope to unload them.

by jfrey40535

Has 9125 actually moved lately? Last I saw it was at Buckingham Valley with a huge wasp nest on the front.

NHIR hasn't the money to rehab and clean up Wycombe, so I don't think they'll be doing anything crazy with 9125 for awhile. They do have a host of derilict equipment along the line.

From what I've read, the state is at least giving them money to upgrade the trackbed.