• Amtrak coaches on the B&H

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

by Jfrmr1

On Sept. 7th, I was passing through Painted Post, stopped in to the McD's and saw the B&H 423/422 moving a cut of tank cars for Blair's west. However, on the end of that were what looked like two ex-Amtrak coaches with no paint, couldn't see reporting marks. I know there is a refurbishing facility for railroad equipment south of Rochester, but the B&H doesn't service nearly that far... would they be heading for private ownership?

by pablo

Unless there has been a change, there is a place to refurbish cars on the B&H. Qualifying on the B&H would have shown you where it was.

Napping has its detriments.

Dave Becker

by Otto Vondrak

Is there an equipment rebuilder on the B&H? Sure you're not thinking of AMP in Dansville, served by DMM/RSR out of Rochester?

-=otto-

by Jfrmr1

Dave, expect a nasty email from me.
Otto- I believe that's the one I was thinking of. Former engine facility off a shortline just southwest of Rochester. I knew it wasnt on the B&H, so it wouldnt make sense for the B&H to be hauling it west... unless Dave (who knows everything) is right about there being a rebuilder on that line.

by thebigham

There is a rail car rebuilder right outside of Kanona. It can be seen from Rt.17/86 B&H overpass.

by scottychaos

There have been passenger cars at the B&H in Cohocton in the past..
I dont think they have done much heavy rebuilding there, but cars have been worked on there..been 3 or 4 years since any cars have been there though.

I doubt that right now the Cohocton shops would have time to deal with passenger cars though, what with all the Alcos they have there to work on at the moment.

Although since the cars were actually on the B&H at Painted Post, as Jfrmr1 said in the first post, then its obvious the cars must be going to Cohocton..for reasons unknown.
there would be no other reason for those cars to even move onto the B&H from Gang Mills if they were not going to Cohocton.

Scot

by pablo

John, I replied, and told you where you could go.

Here's the business, as Chris remembered, in Kanona. Here's the link to the press release here on Railroad.net:
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 3c4352c355

John might have seen this had he stayed awake while hi-railing.

Dave Becker

by railwatcher

The plant is located in the former Mercury Aircraft facility in Kanona, a north western suburb of Bath, NY. TTA has been there for several years, did alot of interior refurbishments, as I remember.

Greg

by PVRX1

Yes the TTA Kanona plant is / was there. I have photos of passenger cars in there getting refurbished and what have you. Without looking, I believe they were Metra cars and maybe even WMATA subway equipment.

The new NJT cars were worked on at Cohocton.

So , yes many a passenger car have moved on the line.

AMP is on the old Dansville & Mount Morris Railroad, in the old Foster Wheeler complex.

by Otto Vondrak

Didn't know about TTA Railcar in Kanona, thanks for the link.

by conrail71

We were camping in Cohocton on Labor Day and we went south towards Bath. Along the way we passed a building with a lot of "shop trucks" laid out and some large tarped objects. It was on the righthand side as we were headed south. There was a Bombardier sign on the fence, is this the same place? I don't remember exactly where we were but we were in the neighboorhood of Kanona.
Mike

by scottychaos

Another story I just found on-line:
7/20/2007 Commuter-Car Maintenance
Maryland Transit Administration awards overhaul pact to Bombardier

Today, Bombardier Transportation announced it won a $14 million contract from Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) to refurbish and overhaul 34 MARC IIB push-pull commuter-rail cars. The contract scope covers carbodies, trucks, HVAC equipment, brakes, door controls, and other systems and components. The project also includes adding new bike racks.

Bombardier will complete the overhauls at facilities in Kanona, N.Y. The cars, which run on the MTA network between Baltimore and Washington, D.C., are scheduled to be back in service by 2010.
from: http://www.progressiverailroading.com/t ... p?id=11089

Where is this Kanona plant??
I have searched up and down various aerial photo sites, and I cant seem to locate any track coming off the B&H in the Kanona area..seems it would be obvious! but im just not seeing it..

ah! never mind..found it!
just a bit RR West of Kanona:

http://maps.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point.r1xv ... &encType=1

click on "birds eye view" if it doesnt open that way.

I never knew that place was there either!
never heard of it until today..thanks!

Scot

by pablo

The plant itself should be easy to see from a Bird's Eye view, and now that you know it's there, you can see the proximity to the rails.

However, I believe that the switch itself, as I recall, was under foliage, as was the track parallel to the rails that serves as a test track of sorts.

The curves at this plant are so severe that if you ever hear of one of the old B&H S-units getting out on the road, it's a good bet they're switching that plant.

I vaguely remember a lashup with a six axle and one of the S-units some time ago to do just that...but I couldn't prove that from the train sheet. I didn't keep it...nor could I.

Dave Becker

by railwatcher

I was by there this morning, Bombardier has a sign up on the building now. They have a guard house at the front gate that stops all traffic in or out bound. The two MARC cars that were dropped there are on the parallel tracks that Pablo had mentioned. Noting that these are not Amtrak. Also that there is no doubt the intensity of the curves has to require a switch engine or trackmobile of some sort.