Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Dylanchris73

I was wondering why you can't refill your unlimited card when they expire. Instead of just throwing them away, just add more time.[/b]

by Otto Vondrak

That would open them up to more instances of fraud.

-otto-

by Dylanchris73

How?

by Allan

I concur.

Otto, how would it open it to instances of fraud?

I have refilled a PPR Metrocard a numbers of times and haven't had any issues.

by Otto Vondrak

It has to do with the accounting software. Rides are deducted from your PPR card differently than a weekly or a monthly, which are essentially "unlimited rides" for a set calendar period. In other words, if "unlimited" cards were able to be refilled, it would open up an opportunity for frauds and the MTA would stand to lose more than from the plan refillable pay-per-rides.

-otto-

by Allan

Otto Vondrak wrote:It has to do with the accounting software. Rides are deducted from your PPR card differently than a weekly or a monthly, which are essentially "unlimited rides" for a set calendar period. In other words, if "unlimited" cards were able to be refilled, it would open up an opportunity for frauds and the MTA would stand to lose more than from the plan refillable pay-per-rides.

-otto-
Understood.

by SubaruWRX

since we are talking about refilling cards... I wonder how many people bother to refill the cards? It seems like it's just better off getting a new card.

by Raritan Express

I refill the card when there's still money left in it but not enough for a ride.