• WMATA Metrorail Trip Report 8/25 Sat: Where are the Rohrs?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Love Train

Today I took my grandmother sightseeing in downtown Washington, DC. We visited an exhibition about the US Presidents at the National Archives. Naturally, we took the Metro to get there. We took the Red Line from my home stop Grosvenor-Strathmore to Archives-Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter station and back.

Today was even hotter than yesterday! I felt like I was going to burn to death. Luckily, we only had to wait two minutes for our train in the intense heat. Today is Saturday, so I was worried that we would have to wait a long time for our train. In two minutes the train arrived. It was a six-car mixed train of 3000 series original Bredas and Rohrs, and it was destined for Glenmont. The first two and last two cars were 3000 series original Bredas while the two cars in the middle were Rohrs. I was in original Breda #3229, the front car. The train had originated at Shady Grove (as all Red Line trains do during off-peak times), but there were only a few other passengers on the train. The ride to Gallery Place-Chinatown was uneventful.

At Gallery Place we headed down to the lower level platform for the Yellow & Green lines. I was pissed to see on the PIMS that our train to go one stop to Archives wouldn't arrive for seven minutes. At least we were underground so it wasn't terribly hot. Exactly seven minutes later, our Yellow Line train to Huntington arrived. It was a six-car train of Breda Rehabs. I was in rehabilitated Breda #2025, the front car. This train also only had a few passengers. The ride was expectedly uneventful as it was only one stop to Archives.

Coming back, we were paying our fares when a Greenbelt-bound Green Line train arrived. Since my grandmother is rather elderly and can't walk fast, we decided to miss this one and get the next one. To my dismay, this train was an Alstom train! All six cars were Alstoms. I have still never ridden an Alstom on the Metro yet. That being said, I think I'll survive. We only had to wait two minutes for the next train. It was a six-car Yellow Line train to Fort Totten. It was a mixed train of Breda Rehabs and CAFs, with the first two cars being Breda Rehabs and four CAFs bringing up the rear. I was in rehabilitated Breda #3044, the front car. The one stop ride to Gallery Place was uneventful.

We just missed a Shady Grove bound train, but another one arrived just three minutes later. This train was a six-car mixed train of rehabilitated and original Bredas, with the first two cars being Breda Rehabs and four original Bredas bringing up the rear. I was in original Breda #3281, the second car from the rear. The ride to Grosvenor was uneventful.

The only thing worth noting about this trip is the lack of Rohr cars on the Red Line. Every time I ride the Metro, the Red Line is loaded with Rohr trains, and yesterday was no different. But today, I saw minimal Rohr trains on the Red Line today; most of the trains I saw were Bredas or mixed trains with Bredas and CAFs. Where did all the Rohrs go?

by WMATAGMOAGH

One ride where you don't see a certain type of car isn't indicative of anything...

by Sand Box John

Funny that you would note seeing an all 6K consist in a Green Line train. I drove a lady friend of mine through the park and ride access road a Greenbelt Tuesday evening to show her the station. As we passed the station on the road from the interloop of the beltway the 6 car train arriving from the south consisted of all 6K cars.

by Robert Paniagua

And not to mention the 1K and pre-rehabbed 3K mixed consist, which could have been done in 1986-87 (unless there was no AC prop to allow them to trainline with each other).

by Love Train

Robert Paniagua wrote:And not to mention the 1K and pre-rehabbed 3K mixed consist, which could have been done in 1986-87 (unless there was no AC prop to allow them to trainline with each other).
That's no big deal, when the original 3000s were still around in large numbers I used to see that all the time.

by davinp

Who cares about the dirty antinque Rohrs. They are too old and in poor condition because Metro didn't take care of them.

Where are the 6000 series? We hardly get any on the blue/orange lines. They seem to be only on the Green lines.

by Love Train

That's better than what I get on my Red Line. I might be dead before Alstoms make their way onto the Red Line.

by red-orange line

testing
Last edited by red-orange line on Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by red-orange line

The way things going now I don't expect to see a 6000 series on the Red Line until 2011 at the earliest.

by tommyboy6181

Some of the Rohrs may still be getting sent to TTA up here in NY to have the HVAC rebuild. I'm not sure if that contract is done with or if its still in progress.

by Sand Box John

"tommyboy6181"
Some of the Rohrs may still be getting sent to TTA up here in NY to have the HVAC rebuild. I'm not sure if that contract is done with or if its still in progress.

The 1K cars are getting their HVAC rehabilitation work done by an outside contractor in the old shop at New Carrollton Yard.

by Mike Morris

"Who cares about the dirty antinque Rohrs. They are too old and in poor condition because Metro didn't take care of them."

Thats a false statement big time. The Rohrs are right now more reliable than other series car. They are not in poor shape sans some of the HVAC components and stress cracks in the body. They actually have lasted longer than thought.

"Some of the Rohrs may still be getting sent to TTA up here in NY to have the HVAC rebuild. I'm not sure if that contract is done with or if its still in progress."

TTA got their contract cancelled by the Metro board because they could not get parts in time. Everyone Metro related with the project got transferred somewhere else. New Carrolton's old shop is doing FMI on 2k3k and soon the 6K.