• Proposed Franklin, NY Railroad Museum

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by drobertson

Some of the postings and articles that discuss the passing of Mr. Rich mention the Franklin Railroad Museum. What are the plans for this museum and what is the current status?

by CREngineer

The Franklin Railroad Museum was an idea conceived by Walt as a way to preserve his collection, and will be focused around the NYOW Car 30 "WARWICK". The car has been restored, and moved to that location, and the project is ongoing. A building will be built around the car, with plenty of room left for the rest of his massive railroadiana collection. There will be rotating exhibits, along with some very rare, most likely one of a kind displays. I spent considerable time with Walt his last months at his request, assisting him in "sorting" thru his collection, and catagorizing various items for display. His family, friends, and other persons are seeing this project to completion. When opened, the museum will be a lasting tribute to Walter, the NYOW, and New York State Railroading. His personal committement to seeing this come about was no doubt one reason he kept going, as no detail went unnoticed even as he was failing. I think when finished it will be a railroad museum unrivaled in the Northeast.

by Otto Vondrak

[split from "Passing of Walter Rich" thread -omv]

by Steve F45

any idea how big this museum will be? And not to sound stupid, but where is this beeing built?

by ricebrianrice

What I saw of the building, I would say it will be about 1/2 again as long as #30, and maybe 2-3 times as wide. Not real big, but big enough.

The building is in the Village of Franklin, NY 13775 about 20 minutes South East of Oneonta, NY 13820. It is located on the farm that Walter grew up on.

by scottychaos

Wow!
this sounds great! :P
sounds like is going to become an excellent museum.

Anyone hear what other items are earmarked for this museum?
Seems NYSW 1800 would be an obvious choice..
better yet, 1800, 1802 AND 1804! :wink:
They have operated 40 years with the Susquehanna.

And one of only three surviving original NYSW Also RS1's, No. 240, is currently for sale..not too far away on the Tioga Central in Wellsboro, PA:

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1928/rs1no240jn3.jpg

One of Susquehanna's first road diesels..quite historic IMO..

Scot

by Steve F45

scottychaos wrote:Wow!
this sounds great! :P
sounds like is going to become an excellent museum.

Anyone hear what other items are earmarked for this museum?
Seems NYSW 1800 would be an obvious choice..
better yet, 1800, 1802 AND 1804! :wink:
They have operated 40 years with the Susquehanna.

And one of only three surviving original NYSW Also RS1's, No. 240, is currently for sale..not too far away on the Tioga Central in Wellsboro, PA:

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1928/rs1no240jn3.jpg

One of Susquehanna's first road diesels..quite historic IMO..

Scot
Scotty both ideas would be great. But 2 of the GP18's aren't dead and just stored, so they could be used again. If they were officially retiring them i'de hope they'de atleast let some preservation/museum groups get first dibs on them. As for the alco, it would be a fitting tribut since it was one of the first diesel on the NYSW but also cause W.R loved alco's.

by Otto Vondrak

From the sounds of things, this proposed museum is not looking to amass a bunch of equipment for display. I think the museum is about the railroads of the area- the NYO&W in particular. I don't think the NYSW is part of the equation at all... I could be wrong.

[moved to New York State Forum for additional exposure-omv]

by Otto Vondrak

Any news on the Franklin project?

by NYSW3614

It is being reported on a NYS&W group that former NYO&W NW-2 #116, rumored to be heading to this museum, will instead be going to the Delaware Ulster Rail Ride. She is currently in storage in Binghamton, NY awaiting transportation to the DURR. DURR is an isolated railroad and she will either have to be trucked from Binghamton, Oneonta, Kingston, or some other location if this comes to pass.

I visited the Franklin site in the fall and there's only just enough room for the car to be moved in and out. No room for any other substantial equipment

the SD45