Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by TheKornGuy

On my way to work getting off at W4 street this morning, I caught an A train pulling out of the station and noticed it was an R-42. What in the world are they doing running R-42s on there?? (didn't have a camera on me, sorry :( ) Is it a sub train for previous equipment failure? Or did the yard just decide to mix things up a bit since they were bored of all those 44's?

by Gerry6309

The new cars bumped the R-42s from East New York so some went to Euclid, where they ended up on the A and C. There is a battle of sorts going on between the accountants who want to juhk the R-32s first, or the car maintenance people who want to get rid of the R-38, 40 and 42 cars first as the new cars come in.

by Love Train

WRONG! Currently, 34 R42s from Coney Island Yard are in 207 St yard for (A) service (3 trains). Two more trains might be in Pitkin. But all R42s on the (A) line were from Coney Island.

by TheKornGuy

Ok... despite what yard they are coming from being in dispute at the moment, is the reason they are on the (A) line still the same? New cars in other yards bumped them into service?

by Love Train

There's no dispute. 34 R42s are assigned to Pitkin Yard. I'm pretty sure there are 20 more in Pitkin Yard (5 trains for the A line) and 20 more in Jamaica Yard (F and/or G lines). I also know that the R42s kicked off the L line by the R160A-1s are somewhere, I'm pretty sure Jamaica but I'm not positive.

What I am positive is that all the R42s on the (A) line are from Coney Island, not East New York.

Now when the R160A-1s enter service on the J/M/Z lines in September, that, among other things, may change.