• Where to go in lancaster county,pa

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by RCH022

i was wondering if anyone would happen to know any good railfanning spots around Lancaster County,Pa

by Metalrailz

There is some good spots in Reading along side of Rt 222

by kevikens

You might want to try the abandoned station at Christiana. It makes a good backdrop for Amtak trains and there is also a freight station in the background.
  by 1st Barnegat

RCH022 wrote:i was wondering if anyone would happen to know any good railfanning spots around Lancaster County,Pa
Try anywhere along the Strasburg Railroad. It runs from Strasburg in Lancaster County to Paradise, PA and back, round trip 45 minutes.

This is Amish country, with horse and buggy, and with steam locomotives hauling wooden coaches. You'll wonder what year it is!

More at: http://www.strasburgrailroad.com/

by RCH022

by the way first barnaget i know much about the amish considering i live in lancaster :wink:

by BoilerBob

Try along Route 741 at Gap PA. Travel west toward Strasburg. Several places along the road the main line from Phila. to Harrisburgh is very close. So close you might not even need to get out of the car.

Bob

by njtmnrrbuff

I'm sure there are many places in the Dutch countryside where you could view Amtrak, as well as Strasburg. Before you know it there will be more trains running on the Keystone, very quickly too.

by kevikens

What are you talking about when you say more trains soon on this line ?

by njtmnrrbuff

The rehabilitation as part of the high speed project on the Keystone Corridor, to bring back all electric service. Lets hope, amtrak can stop its shortage on motors.

by joshuahouse

If you're looking for freight, there is an ancient but still open (in 2003 anyway) ped. bridge by the college along the fright line running south from the Main.
  by kevikens

What college are you talking about ? Where is this location ?
  by LCJ

kevikens wrote:What college are you talking about ? Where is this location ?
It's Franklin & Marshall College (prestigious and expensive) -- along Harrisburg Ave -- across from NS Dillerville yard in the City of Lancaster.

by hebron_hapt

I was in Mt. Joy recently and noticed from across a cornfield a group of center-cab switchers and what looked like gas or ethanol cars. What is this operation?