Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by JayMan

Here's a question: If the Mafersa cars are supposed to go to SLE to free up cars for mainline use, and SLE only has 10 Shoreliners, and presumably the SPVs will stay put, just how many Shoreliners are on the Danbuty/Waterbury branches? I didn't think it was 28 cars. Are some Mafersa's for service increases on those branches and/or SLE?

Question 2: Train #1667 on the NH line out of NH at 2:25 is listed as a SLE train yet doesn't appear on the regular Shore Line East schedule. Is that because it starts at New Haven only and heads west? I ask because I'm trying to get a trip from Old Saybrook to Fordham and I'm trying to minimize my transfers -- so far the SLE #1679 to the MN #1579 seems to be my only bet.

by DutchRailnut

The Marfesa cars will probably be dispersed as followed to free up shoreliners.
10 for SLE to replace 10 Bombardier cars
3 for Waterbury to free up two bombardiers
6 for Danbury to feee up 2 x 2 bombardiers
3 for brewster shuttle to free up 2 bombardiers.
rest will be used for new tru train and spares if engines become available, and for replacement of the exSPV constitution liners. the later are hard to get parts for.
  by Fred G

="Question 2: Train #1667 on the NH line out of NH at 2:25 is listed as a SLE train yet doesn't appear on the regular Shore Line East schedule. Is that because it starts at New Haven only and heads west? I ask because I'm trying to get a trip from Old Saybrook to Fordham and I'm trying to minimize my transfers -- so far the SLE #1679 to the MN #1579 seems to be my only bet.
The only through trains to Stamford on the SLE Westbound are in the morning. I take it you're planning the Saybrook to Fordham trip in the PM, given your listing of #1679. Unless you want to take Amtrak from OSB to Stamford, I'm afraid it's going to be a 2 transfer trip.

BTW, I'm new here and live in CT. I enjoy railfanning, among other things.

by JayMan

I don't mind 2 trains (since I haven't a choice :)), but since most New Haven trains skip all stops between Stamford and 125th I most of the time had to transfer to a local to get to Fordham.

#1679 to #1579 are the only SLE connections (in the evening) that avoid another transfer at Stamford for Fordham, so I guess there's my trains.