• MG Tower Area

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by dwil89

dutchboy wrote:On top of tunnel hill, there is a road that is open and is state land by he looks of it. It goes right down to track level. Im not sure how much of the RR owns but i was there a couple of weeks ago and didnt have any problem. You can see the trains going into the tunnels and the trains coming out of the eastbound tunnel and on the slide.
The road is on state land all the way to the bottom near the tracks by the East Portals....don't venture beyond either of the yellow railroad access gates at the bottom though. This road leads down from the top of the East portal overlook where the old "$10,000 fine-no dumping sign' used to be and that sign was replaced with a state gameland commision sign. The road was regraded and repaved with crushed stone about a year ago, and a wide 'parking area' created about 3/4 of the way down the road for hunters to park their vehicles. The State bought the land on the North side of the tracks between Tunnelhill and Bennington Curve back around the year 2000.
Last edited by dwil89 on Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

by dwil89

OCtrainguy wrote:And that is interesting. In my trips to the curve, I have seen ATVs on the eastern leg of the curve, but haven't seen anyone on the western side. I am sure the public/private area in question will be debated for quite some time...
That trail on the Eastern side was a spur that the railroad used to load coal at the coaling station at Kittaning Point...The old water tank is still in place up there in the woods, so if the railroad didn't sell off the land that the old spur was on, I guess it would still belong to NS and NS would be liable if someone got hurt while ATV'ing or hiking and tried to sue.

by jayrmli

...And the access to the western side trail is the right of way for an old logging spur, which connected with the PRR right on the curve.

I hiked the western spur about two years ago from the curve all the way past MG tower. Really not much to see here anymore. It's too overgrown and ATV riders would need to cut down some fallen trees to make it useful to them again.

I hope to hike the eastern side this fall.

Jay