Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

by scottychaos

End of an Era..
The D&H has always been strongly associated with Alcos..
but it couldnt last forever.. :(

December 23, 1993.
im driving from Albany to Waverly to visit my parents for Christmas,
as I pass Oneonta I look down into the valley and see a string of 4 dead Alcos sitting in the Oneonta yard. I stopped to take some pictures! :P
it was COLD! :(

these were the last four Alcos to operate on the D&H..they were all retired earlier in 1993.

none of the four are listed as surviving today. :(

RS11 5009
RS11 5002
RS36 5022
RS36 5023

sorry about the picture quality..I just scanned these from prints..I have the original negs somewhere, hopefully I will find them someday so I can make better scans.
I also have more pics than these shown, and im sure I shot all 4 units, but I dont have a pic of 2023 in the selecion of prints I found.

I thought I posted another message about these engines some time ago, but I cant find the thread now..someone said one or more of them may have operated in 1994, but I dont know if it was proven or not..
I have always believed these were the last four alcos running, and they were all retired sometime in 1993.

thanks,
Scot

by Otto Vondrak

Wow, you were lucky to catch these beasts, even if only on the dead line. I sadly missed out on this whole era of late-model Alco action... Nice photos.

How long did these units stay here?

by scottychaos

thanks Otto,

I dont know how long they sat there..but I would guess not long.
a few months, probably less than a year.
not many photos of them sitting in the dead-line have turned up, probably because the photo opportunity didnt exist for long.

I lived in Albany from March '93 to March '94, so after March I stopped driving past Onenota! :wink:

that was the one and only time I saw them..

Scot

by Tadman

Scotty I remember seeing pics of the same units in Trains Mag - in 1993 I was in the fifth grade and had no idea what the fuss over an Alco was. To me it was a tired old beast by a company that couldn't compete. I was an EMD kid all the way. Today, I'm saddened I didn't realize what a treasure an Alco really is, for so many reasons. I missed the BRC Alcos only a few hours away by just a couple years, and I'm still kicking myself for it. Thanks for the great shots.
  by Bob Sandusky

up in Northville still operational?

by Orgnoi1

At least a couple are still out there and running... even with D&H colors... your shots are great!! D&H still sits as my fav company...

by sallenparks

Scotty sad memories for me buddy I just barely remember the C628's and all my RS kids gone by the way side.Nice to see pic's of 5002&5022 again those two along with 5015(still alive) where always in Conklin when I was there. At least 5010,5011(RS11's)5015,5017,5019(RS36's) are still alive.NICE PICS SCOTTY.

by Herr Spreng

Not sure if this group went to NREC-or were cut up on site.