• Abandoned Line Under Rt80 in DuBois

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by tahawus84

Sorry if I spelt the town name wrong. I pass by this area alot and I always notice some abandoned rails under Rt80 east of the town. Anyone know what this is? I traced it on mapquest it just looks like a small branch that connects with the active line further east. I am looking for any info on this if anyone has any. Thanks :-D

by Schuylkill Valley

The B&O ran through Dubois, so it could be a branch line of the B&O .

by EMTRailfan

Are there rails on your abandoned line, or are you seeing an old bed?

Just west of Exit 97 appears to be an old bed at the small mill looking building with a Triangle Tech sign on it. Don't know for sure, but guessing either B&O or Pre-B&O to the BR&P. B&P's main from Buffalo to New Castle goes under 80 in this same location. There is a line east of town that goes under 80 at Exit 101, but it is still used by the B&P to go to Driftwood (former Shamut). Only other possibility that I can think of is farther east near the Woodland exit. There was a RJCP line that went through Philipsburg. Last time I was through there it didn't appear used very much, if at all. I don't think this line went under 80 though. RJC's main does cross 80 and go to Keating. That's just before the Woodland exit. Not sure if it is over/under.

by CarterB

East of Du Bois, at I-80 exit 101, both the B&O {nee Buffalo & Susquehanna} (easternmost ROW) and Conrail/Mountain Laurel/B&P {ex PRR} (westernmost right next to Rte 255) had lines that, just up the road at Sabula, had tunnels.
  by thebigham

tahawus84 wrote:Sorry if I spelt the town name wrong. I pass by this area alot and I always notice some abandoned rails under Rt80 east of the town. Anyone know what this is? I traced it on mapquest it just looks like a small branch that connects with the active line further east. I am looking for any info on this if anyone has any. Thanks :-D
Probably the exBuffalo & Susquehanna...
  by railfandan

So there are 4 rights of way that cross I-80 in the area of DuBois:
from West to east:

Near just west of DuBois/Brockway exit:
BR&P/B&O, was double track, now single.
PRR/Erie, torn up.

Near Sabula Exit:
At Underpass for PA 255: PRR/AVRR Low Grade LIne, single track.
further east near the creek: Old B&S/B&O, torn up.

Dan

by tahawus84

Thanks for all the responses. I looked it up on mapquest the line runs under Rt80 and is east of RT255 and the other rail line. The line does have rails on it (at least under 80). It is overgrown though. From what I have seen on mapquest it looks like it is used south of 80 and then has a wye connecting to the other active line to the west. I was wondering where it ran to and are all the rails still in place? Would like to explore it sometime as I am interested in old raillines with rails still on them. Thanks For all the Help :-D
  by railfandan

This is the old Buffalo & Susquehanna line. It was built sometime in the early 1900's (not clear in books when actually), and was abandoned after a flood, I believe in 1942.

Paul Pietrak published a book about the line in 1966, reprinted and updated in 1995.

Dan