• Bob Butterfield, 20th Century Ltd engineer

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by edgarpb

There was a famous engineer on the 20th Century Limited in the late steam era. I am trying to locate his name for a book I am preparing about a non NYC passenger train. He was an idol to the small boy in his heyday. I believe his name was Bob Butterfield. Can anyone confirm that name or give me the correct name?
  by jonathanhuyck

Yup, Bob Butterfield is the right name. I have a book at home about the NYC Hudsons called "Thoroughbreds" that features Mr. Butterfield in one section. I don't remember the author of the book offhand, but I'm sure someone out there does.
-Jonathan

by edgarpb

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the information!

by Allen Hazen

"Thoroughbreds" is one of Alvin Stauffer's books.
There is also a book-- can't remember the author or publisher, probably out of print, used --years ago-- to be advertized regularly in "Trains"-- called "Riding the Limiteds' Locomotives." Author was a Major in (I think) the British army, obviously deeply interested in railway matters: he wangled cab rides both on the 20th Century and on that other railroad's "Broadway" and wrote about them.
Butterfield was for a number of years the regular engineer on the New York (well, Harmon) to Albany leg of the Century's run... so, of all the New York Central system's engineers, the one most likely to meet New York media people. Obviously a good engineer or he wouldn't have been allowed to keep that assignment, and seems to have been a decent guy: I think the NYCRR's publicity department made him into a bit of a celebrity.

by H.F.Malone

Riding the Limited's Locomotives was, I think, written by Col. Howard Hill (US Army). Col. Hill also was the designer of some of the WW2 US Army steam locos, specifically the 0-6-0T and 2-8-2 types.

by Allen Hazen

H.F. Malone -- very likely you're right. I ***think*** I remember the author being described as Major ..., but he could have been promoted after the book came out! And I have no idea where I got the idea that he was British. Thanks for the correction!

(I think "Trains" may have published an excerpt from the book some time in the 1970s, but I'm not sure. "Thoroughbreds" has at least one picture of Butterfield, I think (maybe a publicity shot of him shaking hands with a PRR engineer who ran the Broadway, neither man looking particularly comfortable) and about three sentences of biography.)
  by coalmine

Bob Butterfiled also appeared in Lionel advertising copy back in the day.

If you can find it, take a look at Ed Hungerford's book, Run of the 20th Century. Bob Butterfield appears there as well, although his name is slightly changed. A great piece of reading if you have not seen it b4.

Hope this helps.

Work safe

by shlustig

On the old Hudson Division Engineers' Rosters, as well as those of other divisions, engineers had to have a special qualification to run the Century as indicated by a reference mark next to their names.

This applied to both regular men who owned the runs and to extra list enginemen. If a non-qualified man was next in line on the list for an open Century run, he was passed by without penalty.

Don't know how long this lasted.
  by pjb

This book , which is unique in subject matter, can be bought
reasonably through the various used book dealer conglamorates
(i.e.-Alibris,AddAll,ABE, etc.). Hill rode the Century and
Broadway in continuous cab rides from E to W. The Century,
had Butterfield on a Hudson's right hand seat box on the first
steam leg out of Harmon. The Broadway was hauled by
a K-4s (doubleheaded out of Altoona over the top) for its
passage.

The author did not work for a loco maker, but rather an
oil company. The other story in book work deals with problems
related to developping valve oil to work under high pressures
found on the N&W's family of modern class 'A' and 'Y'
articulateds. If steam, and steam operations at the acme
of their use interest you... this is the most accessible, and
affordable opportunity you will have.
:-) Good-Luck, PJB

by latonyco

shlustig wrote:On the old Hudson Division Engineers' Rosters, as well as those of other divisions, engineers had to have a special qualification to run the Century as indicated by a reference mark next to their names.

This applied to both regular men who owned the runs and to extra list enginemen. If a non-qualified man was next in line on the list for an open Century run, he was passed by without penalty.

Don't know how long this lasted.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What extra qualifications were required of the enginemen who worked the Century as opposed to those who worked on the NYC's other name passenger trains? I would have guessed that safe and smooth operation would have been the primary criteria which they all had to meet.

by Noel Weaver

Most likely a sufficient amount of time working other passenger trains and
maybe a proficiency approval with a road foreman or some other official.
SHL, did I get this one right?
Noel Weaver

by shlustig

Noel,

That's a "Roger".

by trlinkcaso

I am just getting prepared to start scanning my collection of early 1940-1949 era Central Headlights for my website ( www.canadasouthern.com ). I've held off doing these early issues due to their size ( they are 11" x 17" ), but I will soon have a large format scanner that can handle these soon - so these will appear on the website in a month or two.

While flipping through some of these early issues - I came across an obituary for Bob Butterfield in the May 1946 Central Headlight.

Here is a scan of the article:
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/head ... 6-temp.jpg

by Mike Roque

A message I received from Catherine A. Stewart, Bob's great granddaughter:
Catherine A. Stewart wrote:Further to a post on your site by Edgarpb of some months ago - - As it happens, NY Central engineer, “on time” Bob Butterfield was my great-grandfather. Although he died before I was born, I have heard some wonderful tales about him from my grandmother (his daughter) and my mom (his granddaughter). He was by all reports a prince of a fellow – well-respected and apparently extremely good at his job. In fact, after he retired as an engineer, the railroad sent him around on speaking engagements to various places. Ironically, in this effort he met a somewhat premature end when, en route to one of these engagements, someone stepped on his foot. An open wound resulted, into which leached some of the coloring from his black sock. This dye caused an infection and blood poisoning and ultimately his death (at least according to family lore).

I am happily surprised to find that my great-grandfather is still alive on the internet!

Regards,
Catherine Stewart
  by taxib

Bob Butterfield was my great grandfather, too. There was a large ad for Camel cigarettes in the Saturday Evening Post (and many other publications) of Bob, my father and my uncle who were his grandchildren and amongst the top child models in New York at the time (during the depression.) He seems to have been quite a celebrity in his day, along with his grandchildren. I don't know Catherine Stewart, who I see has also posted, but it's fun to think we share a great grandfather - and share the name Catherine!

Catherine Butterfield
Santa Monica, CA