• Last Week The Times; This Week The Journal

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by Gilbert B Norman

Today' Wall Street Journal lets loose with a report on deteriorating UP service. Of course the Sunset Route is highlighted, with a report regarding a Phoenix area lumberyard that was 'victim" of what appeared to be reconsigned cars.

You must either get access to their subscription based website or pay a buck down at your local newsstand if you want to read.

However, I'm sure the "spindocs on Dodge" are putting together their response that will be circulated for free at their website.

Most interesting factiod cited: Estimated cost to doubl track the entire Sunset Route is $1.5B

by MP297W

I saw sonething about it on (I think) AgDay one morning flipping oround the channels on one of my nights off. I have seen a couple of newspaper articles on the problems, too. Hiring crews is a good start, KEEPING them would really accomplish something! A friend thought about working for CSX, but a talk with an engineer cousin made him realize money isn't everything. Another friend's brother lasted about three months, the lack of decent sleep forced him to quit..

I can't really understand how this keeps happening. What kind of "management" does some of the things that trigger this kind of stuff? All UP does is go from one "service crisis" to another. A friend of mine's brother lives in Houston, and it's not as bad as it was 5 years ago, but when the fall harvest/xmas shipping season starts, who knows?

Here around Toledo, CSX insanely tried to close the Stanley yard, but as soon as they did, the problems began, and trains started backing up. At least they realized that it was a mistake before a meltdown occurred. CSX and NS, neither one, seem to be able to use the old CR stuff they bought nearly as well as CR did.

by AmtrakFan

I would just throw up the Money and Double Track the Sunset Line that would help service in the Entire System I think it could pay itself in the long run also how much of it is Double Track.

AmtrakFan

by MP297W

It sure couldn't hurt to double track it, and with lots of crossovers, there would be plenty of "train storage track" available, if needed. :wink:

If the UP has done what CSX and NS, and Conrail before them did, yank up a lot of yard track that "wasn't needed" at the time, and never replaced for the most part, the problem won't go away anytime soon.

The railroad management, and this goes for all railroads, seems to think selling or abondoning little used milage is a smart thing to do, without any thought for the future. The problem is, like in Toledo. There is no "safety valve" available anymore on CSX, in case the main bridge has a problem. In 1982, the Toledo Terminal R.R. Maumee River bridge was damaged in a derailment. CSX owned TTRR, and from what I heard, made plans to repair the bridge. Then it was delayed and delayed. Then the press reports that CSX had gotten federal $$$ to refurbish the bridge and the trackage from Rossford, OH to the West side of Toledo. A short time later, CSX says they don't want it, and are going to abandon the trackage and bridge instead. So it sat an rotted for years and years, causing traffic jams on the nortwestern side of town when trains crossed major roads for years until the railroads drove the companies to use trucks or move. Yes drove.

And just recently Lucas county purchased The entire TT loop for a "light rail people mover" a bike/hiking trail, etc. Wood county purchased their part of it on the other side of the river. So that's it I guess. It will be nice being able to walk my dog over to Perrysburg, but I would rather have seen the brige rebuilt and the tracks active again.