• Binghamton Yards

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by railfancurtis

I recently saw photos of the Binghamton Yards and was surprised to see Guilford locomotives present. Do they still have rights to the D&H line or are they just extra power? Who exactly owns these yards and why do Guilford run their engines there?

by nysw3636

You did not mention which yard, so what you are most likely seeing are former Guilford units now lettered for HATX. NYS&W is leasing a few of these GP40-2's (HATX 504 and HATX 516 have been spotted).

ASD

by railfancurtis

im talking about this photo here i believe its in the conklin yard im not sure though. the paint scheme is recent

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=33769

by caboose

The Binghamton yard is owned by CP Rail/Delaware and Hudson Railway Inc. :P

by metman499

I think that thuis locomotive might be repaying horsepower hours. I believe it is one of two units that was being used for this purpose by Guilford earlier in the year in Allentown working for the NS. Guilford might have sent it to CP for the same purpose.
  by henry6

GUILDFORD UNITS SHOW UP FREQUENTLY ON CP AND NS TRAINS FROM MECHANICSVILLE AND CAN BE SEEN IN THE YARD IN CONKLIN...CALLED "EAST BINGHAMTON YARD" FROM DL&W DAYS. SOMETIMES THE UNITS ARE ON COAL EMPTIES, OTHER TIMES IT SEEMS LIKE THEY ARE PINCH HITTING OR ASSISTING NS UNITS.

by ProRail

There is usually 1 GRS locomotive, a high-nose GP35 (#380 or #381) on "permanent" lease to the CPRS. Its there to work off horsepower hours incurred when Guilford uses the CP Rail power on trains EDMO/MOED (or currently called MOPO/POMO) that run to East Deerfield.
Since 3 SD40-2s exceed the Horsepower total of 1 GP35 you can be sure someone runs at a deficit.

The occasional additional GRS unit will show up on NS empty coal trains to also make-up horsepower hours for the NS power that goes east on the Bow, NH coal trains. But its not always the case. There are also instances where the NS or CPRS power has had problems while departing Guilford so a GRS unit is tacked on to get the train over the road.

With the exception of the "leased" GP35s and the ex-GRS units now owned by the CPRS there generally is no "run-through" GRS power.

by Aji-tater

Henry6:

1. Please don't shout - we can hear you just fine.

2. There is no "s" in Mechanicville

by Robert Paniagua

GUILDFORD UNITS SHOW UP FREQUENTLY ON CP AND NS TRAINS FROM MECHANICSVILLE AND CAN BE SEEN IN THE YARD IN CONKLIN...CALLED "EAST BINGHAMTON YARD" FROM DL&W DAYS. SOMETIMES THE UNITS ARE ON COAL EMPTIES, OTHER TIMES IT SEEMS LIKE THEY ARE PINCH HITTING OR ASSISTING NS UNITS.

Henry6,

Yes, you might want to use lowercase letters next time you place material here in this forum. Remember, this is a community forum now.

As for this thread as Otto wanted, I'm relocating this topic to his NYS Railfan Forum.

by Steam

As the late (great) Donald S. Robinson used to say: "There are no mechanics in Mechanicville". Hadda love him! RIP Don!

by BR&P

"Mechanicville is so small there is only one mechanic"