• Career Path

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Controlled Speed

So, as am ambitious type of person, I'd like to know what kinda options one would have to grow with the company should they stay the rest of their lives. You know, move up and achieve some better quality of life, as well, maybe take advantage of their tuition reimbursement program to move up, yet I also need to know how that works if you're on call all the time. How does one attend school unless they accommodate that for reasons of utilizing you in the company?

by thirdtrick

are you trying to decide between labor & management?

by nessman

I can tell you this from my analysis at a public transportation provider:

5 years - the average tenure of a management employee
8 years - the average tenure of a non-management / non-labor employee
12 years - the average tenure of a union/labor employee

The number of union/labor employees with 20+ years outnumber all management/non-labor employees by 2:1

The union/labor folks consider upper management "temporary employees". Most union/labor folks move up by bidding on posted openings in a fashion that's usually dictated by their collective bargaining agreement.

You be the judge.

by Controlled Speed

thirdtrick wrote:are you trying to decide between labor & management?
Not an operations manager. Like, find out about this tuition reimbursement program they speak of and go back to school for addiction counseling, and become and EAP man.