• Selkirk Yard - Still "Perlman"?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Dieter

All I hear that yard refered to for years now is "Selkirk". Though Conrail renamed it "Selkirk" does anyone still refer to it as "Perlman"?

Is it still one of the largest yards in the country?

Thanks!

D/
  by n01jd1

Dieter wrote:All I hear that yard refered to for years now is "Selkirk". Though Conrail renamed it "Selkirk" does anyone still refer to it as "Perlman"?

Is it still one of the largest yards in the country?

Thanks!

D/
Are you sure it was Conrail that stopped calling it Perlman? I would have thought that changed during the PC years. And no, I havent heard anyone call it Perlman yard, just Selkirk.

by Dieter

The only thing I could find on it running a search was that the name was changed from Perlman to just "Selkirk" under Conrail. It would make sense that some Pennsy guy could hardly wait to tear down a sign that said "Perlman Yard" with the advent of Penn Central.

New York Central to Conrail was a scant what? Seven or eight years? I was wondering if the name "Perlman" had stuck at all like "The West Shore" has hung on for so long with locals on the line from Selkirk to Jersey City. Then again, a lot of people would like to forget Perlman as well!

D/

by D&H7312

My grandfather worked for NYC and it was called Selkirk by the crews during the mid-60's. May not have officially returned to being called that until PC or CR, but it was long before it was Perlman on the NYC as well.