• The GM&O - A Flag Too Many

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

by Gilbert B Norman

The Gulf Mobile & Ohio was one of these hapless roads that could only be characterized as "redundant' (same could be said of MY road - the MILW). The lines South of St Louis were a "cobbling' of two sick puppies and thence merged in a rarity immediately after WWII - an "end to end' with B&O subsidiary, the Chicago & Alton.

The only thing that the IC wanted the GM&O for was its access to the Port of Mobile. They hardly had use for their 'over hill and dale' lines through Alabama when they already had a virtual grade free route following the Mississippi River. The objective was to find the quickest route to get GM&O traffic on to IC lines - otherwise, everything on the GM&N "Rebel Route' was surplus.

The Alton, after a brief stint as an independent Short Line, the Chicago Missouri & Western, became Southern Pacific's entry to Chicago. That there were physical interchanges at both KC and St Louis enabled them to make rates through both gateways. However, the line to KC was some kind of Rocky Horror Show, and SP quickly arranged trackage rights over the CB&Q route of the KC Zephyr.

In short a redundant road, and it is no wonder that the IC reverted back to their name and the ICG moniker had a life span of only some eight years.

But I learned once that when independent, the GM&O was a very reliable outfit to do business with. If they promised third morning delivery of maritime export/import traffic at either Chicago or Mobile, that was a promise the shipper could 'take to the bank" (and I guess if he held an Order Bill of Lading, that became quite literal) .

Sorry to be harsh on a fellow Illini's road (a photo of Glenn P Brock - longtime CEO, hangs in the Illini Union), but just my thoughts on a road that was a victim of the industry's severe contractions during the dark days of the '70's. Possibly these folk may have contrary views regarding the GM&O's viability to mine.

http://www.gmohs.org

by Tadman

Thanks for shedding light on a topic I didn't know much about. The "redundant road" idea makes quite a lot of sense now.

by GN 599

Ya gotta admit that those red and white SD40's looked pretty sweet though :-D. I liked their GP30's with their blue and white and recycled trucks, ''thrifty elegance''....
  by 2nd trick op

These two roads were a lot more forward-thinking than is generally acknowledged. The GM&O is often cited as the first "major" road to go all-diesel (in 1951, a short time ahead of the Erie), and the Alton's main line was one of the first to make extensive use of CTC.

Unfortunately, these advances weren't enough to overcome entrenched and better-financed competitors.

Two links to additional background are provided:

www.gmohs.org
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alton_Railroad