• Is UP going to the Repbulican Convention

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by AmtrakFan

By Chance does anyone know if the UP is going to the Republican National Convention by Chance and would it be coming thru Chicago?

AmtrakFan

by Greg

The UP is scheduled to have a 'Union Pacific' party on the Chelsea Piers which will feature vintage railcars on barges that will be open to Republican party doners.

by AmtrakFan

Greg wrote:The UP is scheduled to have a 'Union Pacific' party on the Chelsea Piers which will feature vintage railcars on barges that will be open to Republican party doners.
Does this mean their running a Private Train>

AmtrakFan

by ProRail

I heard there was no appearance of the UPRR business train in Boston because

A) They could not find a crew out in Omaha for it

B) It was tied onto the rear of one of their dedicated UPS trains. - Oops they cancelled those.

C) The DNC did not sign the Licensing Agreement to have the UPRR logo present anywhere in Boston.

D) It was to be pulled by the UP Challenger 3985 and the Northern 844 and we know CSX does not promote steam excursions.

E) It still "in the hole" on a siding somewhere between LA and Houston.

Seriously, the BNSF, CSXT and NS were all present. So was UP just keeping a low profile or unlike the other 3 they don't sit on the fence and appeal to both political parties. I am willing to bet the same trains will be in NYC next month.

On another note - Yes - I love to beat up on the UPRR, there is just something about them and what they have been doing lately that just seems to be the result of bad kharma that they may have brought on themselves. Yes I am sure they are profitable but;

1) They won the UPS business from BNSF (this is good)
They have since lost all of it to trucks (this is bad for all railroads, you would have thought BNSF would at least be given some of it to keep it on the rails)

2) Their battles over their licensing and corporate trademark while justified, could not have been more ill-timed.

3) They have traditionally since the SP merger fallen flat on their face come the fall when traffic is at its peak, now its happening year round.

by AmtrakFan

An NS Police Officer told me that the CNW merger killed UP also BNSF should get some of the UPS Business.

AmtrakFan