Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
  by JJSmith

I am currently working on an HO model of Pottsville and I have not been able to figure out how the PRR crossed Mauch Chunk St. in Pottsville. I know that in 1886 a thru girder bridge crossed the street. Was this bridge still in place in the 1950's or was there a replacement?

Once the PRR line was single tracked due to the Rt 61 project, was the second bridge over Mauch Chunk St, removed with the track?

Anything information on this bridge would be appreciated.

by Jedi Engineer

I don't know how much I can help but, I was just there two days ago. There is a two car wide, old looking, steel bridge crossing the tracks. They are currently working on putting the tracks back in under the bridge. I hope some of that helps.
  by JJSmith

This is the Mauch Chunk Road bridge. How far along is the track laying? More details please if you can. Thanks.

by nittany4

Jedi Engineer wrote:I don't know how much I can help but, I was just there two days ago. There is a two car wide, old looking, steel bridge crossing the tracks. They are currently working on putting the tracks back in under the bridge. I hope some of that helps.
LAYING tracks?

wow

any idea what for?
  by JJSmith

Pottsville is building a new visitors center and wishes to bring the rails back for possible R&N excursions much like the R&N does for other communities in the region. I know they want to have some kind of RR display because the city wants to purchase the RCT&HS's GTW baggage car. However, the RCT&HS will not sell at this time.
  by nittany4

JJSmith wrote:Pottsville is building a new visitors center and wishes to bring the rails back for possible R&N excursions much like the R&N does for other communities in the region. I know they want to have some kind of RR display because the city wants to purchase the RCT&HS's GTW baggage car. However, the RCT&HS will not sell at this time.
thanks

my father lives in pottsville, i owe him a visit, i'll have to check it out

by Schuylkill Valley

JJ,
The PRR bridge your talking about was known as the Schuylkill Viduct, This bridge was torn out in 1965.

It was built in 1884

Len.