Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by TrainWriter

Can anybody help out this writer with info about NYC subways? I got a character who is a train operator. I've already picked up a lot just from reading this forum! I'm wondering if someone can give me the basics on train operation. Specifically, the R46, which I believe is used on the A line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

by RearOfSignal

What do you need to know?

by TrainWriter

What are the tools of the train operator? I know they have to carry a "key" to operate the train. BTW, is it called a "key"? Don't they always carry radios too? These are items that they personally own, right? Or are they issued by the MTA?

Where does the train operator report to work? Is it the rail yard or the first station on their route? How much time do they have to put in before they get their own regular scheduled route?

by TrainWriter

Oh yeah. . . Why did they stop calling them "motormen"? Do train operators still use that term amongst themselves?

by chuchubob

TrainWriter wrote:Oh yeah. . . Why did they stop calling them "motormen"? Do train operators still use that term amongst themselves?
The term isn't always appropriate.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1076464 ... 8960xbYRaP

Bob

by islandtransit

You might get some better answers over on subchat. www.subchat.com

by RearOfSignal

TrainWriter wrote:What are the tools of the train operator? I know they have to carry a "key" to operate the train. BTW, is it called a "key"? Don't they always carry radios too? These are items that they personally own, right? Or are they issued by the MTA?

Where does the train operator report to work? Is it the rail yard or the first station on their route? How much time do they have to put in before they get their own regular scheduled route?
Yes, the key, brake handles and I think a special wrench for some equipment are issued by the MTA, though the train operator is responsible for safely keeping them with him. The radios I believe are also issued by the MTA but are picked up when the TO gets to his terminal at the beginning of the day and returns it when done. It's been a few years since I last rode along with someone, so it might have changed.

The TO reports to whatever terminal he's assigned to, usually the first stop, he'll begin and end his day there. Otherwise to the yard if it's a yard job.

by Love Train

For the record, the R46 cars are NOT used on the A line. Most, but not all, of the cars you'll see on the A line are R44s, which look similar to the R46s. R46s only run on the F, G, R, and V lines. Occasionally, if its your lucky day, you'll find one R46 train on the E line. This only happens rarely, though.

by TrainWriter

Thanks for the replies everyone. You're right, Love Train. The A line runs R44s. There's another car type on the line but I can't find it on nycsubway.org. It's kind of like the R32 but more modern. Or maybe they are R32s with a redesigned interior.

by Love Train

TrainWriter wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. You're right, Love Train. The A line runs R44s. There's another car type on the line but I can't find it on nycsubway.org. It's kind of like the R32 but more modern. Or maybe they are R32s with a redesigned interior.
You're speaking of the R38s.

by TrainWriter

Ahh, thanks

by jersey_emt

I'm fairly certain my last trip on the A out to Far Rockaway was on an R32 set...it had the corrugated sides the entire height of the car.

Don't R32's also regularly run on the E?

by Love Train

jersey_emt wrote:I'm fairly certain my last trip on the A out to Far Rockaway was on an R32 set...it had the corrugated sides the entire height of the car.

Don't R32's also regularly run on the E?
There are some R32s on the A and C lines. Often times on the A and C lines you will see R32s and R38s mixed in the same train.

The E line is 100% R32 only.