• Schenectady N.Y.

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Dave S.

Does CSX have a yard in Schectady by the river, I noticed it on google earth, or is it someone else???

by Noel Weaver

There is not much in Schenectady proper but CSX does have a yard in
South Schenectady where they run some local freights out of for West
Albany area as well as west on the Mohawk. I don't know just how many
jobs still tie up there today.
Noel Weaver

by Ironman

The yard by the river is Mohawk Yard. Not really in Schenectady, but close. It's a CP yard, ex-D&H.

by LCJ

Dave may be looking at Sandbank yard, which was (is?) just across the river from Schenectady, parallel to the former NYC/PC main line. I'm pretty sure it's been out of use for quite some time. At one time there was a yard lead/siding between CP9 in downtown Schenectady and the Sandbank yard. In the late '70s I worked a traveling switcher out of Selkirk that picked up interchange cars from D&H there every night. The cars were pulled from the D&H connection by a Sandbank yard engine. I think that interchange was moved to the Port of Albany, and CP crews now run them into Selkirk themselves.