• Strange Metro observation

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"
Oh good, and I will also head downthere in May, so I'll be seeing how effective they are.

Based on my short observations their effectiveness was about the same. They are clearly more visible then the incandescent lights, even the amber lights in the lower level.

by Sand Box John

Pictures of red and amber LED platform edge lights in Gallery Place;

Upper level track B1 looking west.
Lower level track F1 looking north.

The increase and decay of the luminosity is exactly the same as the incandescent lights.

by geoking66

I was just on the Metro this weekend. I'm pretty sure that when I was at the lower level of Gallery Place, I saw green on the platform, and I know that I saw red on the Red Line platforms.

by Sand Box John

"geoking66"
I was just on the Metro this weekend. I'm pretty sure that when I was at the lower level of Gallery Place, I saw green on the platform, and I know that I saw red on the Red Line platforms.

Those pictures were taken on the evening of 03 28 2007. I believe your recollections are incorrect as none of the press releases published by WMATA stated that the flashing lights would show the color of the train passing through the station. You will note that the train in the lower level Gallery Place picture is a Green line train. The lights were amber when that train was at the platform.

by geoking66

Now that I think about it, they were red. For some reason (since I have a slight type of red-green colour blindness), I just mixed them up.