Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Head-end View

I did some Manhattan riding this week. I still couldn't find an R-32/38 type train on the F-line. And like a few weeks back I saw an R-143/160 on the N-Broadway express. Still seeing lots of good old R-40 slants on the B-line. Long live the R-40 SLANTS !!! :-D

And I always enjoy standing at the head-end of the platform at West 4th St. looking thru the windows of the signal-tower at that neat 1930's era interlocking machine that probably still works fine.

by Yanks Rule

The F line runs about 8-10 trainsets of R32 equipment. The best time to catch them is during rush hour. They try to keep them off the F on weekends but that doesn't always work out due to increased service on weekends, R46 cars in the shop for inspection, repairs etc.. R38 cars are on the A and C lines. They run anytime 24/7.
  by Head-end View

Thanks Yanks. The problem is I usually ride at mid-day on weekdays. Sounds like you're saying they press the F-line R-32's into service during the rush-hours when more equipment is needed. Hmmm, I might have to do a special rush-hour ride some afternoon, which I really hate to do 'cause of the crowds, etc. But thanks for the info, anyway. :-D