• Tysons tunnel, The political intrigue continues

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Sand Box John

Couple of stories appeared in the Washington Post over the weekend concerning the future of metrorail through Tysons Corner and on to Reston, Dulles International Airport and into London County.

Friday, March 9, 2007 Tunnel at Tysons Would Be Costly Risk, Study Says

Monday, March 12, 2007 Reston, McLean Chambers Open Feud Over Fate of Tysons Tunnel

For those not up to speed on the all tunnel option through Tysons Corner, here is what the folks at tysonstunnel.org have proposed.

Here is what the folks contracted by the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation have put together through the public input, studies and environmental impact statement process.
Here are some renderings of the stations.

by octr202

I haven't had a chance to read all the links and articles, but I glanced through the tunnel supporters page that you linked. This one caught me:
Close your eyes and picture all of the chaos; traffic tie-ups
during construction, loss
to businesses and a future ruined for your children.
http://tysonstunnel.org/images/boards/T ... Photos.pdf

Nothing like playing the "it will ruin your children's future" card. Of course, the only thing sadder than that argument is that it probably works in enough people's minds.

That said, as someone who can still call call up vague memories of riding the Metro as a kid, I think the average kid would LOVE the viaduct option -- a 70' tall roller coaster? They'd love that! :wink:

by Sand Box John

"octr202"
I haven't had a chance to read all the links and articles, but I glanced through the tunnel supporters page that you linked. This one caught me:
Close your eyes and picture all of the chaos; traffic tie-ups
during construction, loss to businesses and a future ruined for your children.
http://tysonstunnel.org/images/boards/T ... Photos.pdf

Nothing like playing the "it will ruin your children's future" card. Of course, the only thing sadder than that argument is that it probably works in enough people's minds.

As one who was present in Washington DC during those times those same claims can also be made of the tunnel options. Visions of the problems described in the final paragraph of the of the first article flashed back when I read that. Virtually all of 7th Street from H Street to the National Mall settled as the shield boring machine passed requiring the surface street and sidewalks to be totally rebuilt. A good number of the buildings between C and F Streets were damaged requiring the contractor to make repairs. Similar settling took place south of F Street along 12th Street NW, along D Street SE and SW and along Pennsylvania SE also requiring total reconstruction of surface streets and sidewalks.

Regardless of what options is chosen their still will be some disruption that will take place during construction. What the folks at Tysontunnel.org failed to mention is none of the elevated easement along VA-123 Chain Bridge Road is within the easement of the road having little affect on traffic during construction. Virtually all of VA-7 Leesburg Pike between Chain Bridge Road and the Dulles Access and VA-267 Dulles Toll Road will be reconfigured to improve the movement of both pedestrians and motor vehicle traffic. The same modification would still need to be done to provide surface pedestrian facilities along Leesburg Pike to access the stations in subway.

That said, as someone who can still call up vague memories of riding the Metro as a kid, I think the average kid would LOVE the viaduct option -- a 70' tall roller coaster? They'd love that!

The profile east of the Tysons Central 123 (Tysons Corner Mall) has some grades along it that exceed all of the grades present today on the D route Orange line east of Stadium-Armory.

by uzplayer

Considering the general attitude of Tysons Corner and McLean (I lived in that area for a number of years) I can see why they are trying to push their tunnel option. Unfortunately, it would cost much more and probably cause an even bigger disruption versus the elevated subway option. I don't think they have looked at the benefits this could bring to the region as well as taken into account all of the stakeholders that will be serviced on the line, which ultimately is typical for the area.

I hope they build this thing in spite of what people say...

by Sand Box John

"uzplayer"
Considering the general attitude of Tysons Corner and McLean (I lived in that area for a number of years) I can see why they are trying to push their tunnel option. Unfortunately, it would cost much more and probably cause an even bigger disruption versus the elevated subway option. I don't think they have looked at the benefits this could bring to the region as well as taken into account all of the stakeholders that will be serviced on the line, which ultimately is typical for the area.

I hope they build this thing in spite of what people say...

I happen to approve of the elevated option, However I don't like the station in the ditch at Tyson Central 7 (Pike Seven Plaza). I submitted a proposal during the comment period on the Preliminary Engineering Design Refinements Environmental Assessment that placed the Pike Seven Plaza on an elevated roughly 200' west of the station in the ditch. My elevated station at Pike Seven Plaza was an exact copy of the Tysons West (Spring Hill Road) station. By relocating the Pike Seven Plaza on an elevated I managed to shortened both of the tunnels between Pike Seven Plaza and Tysons Central 123 (Tysons Corner Center) by roughly 2,000'.

By making both Pike Seven Plaza and Spring Hill Road exact copies of one another, costs would have been saved through mass production prefabricated components. The shortened tunnels between Pike Seven Plaza Tysons Corner Center placed the tunnels above the water table and eliminated the need for a pumping station. The profile of the tunnels are at an elevation that allows drainage downhill towards Tysons Corner Center station.

The only thing that could be objectionable about my idea was the tunnels were cut and cover under International Drive and under the frontage road west International Drive. The west portals were located in the middle of the loop ramp in the northeast corner of the Leesburg Pike VA-7 Chain Bridge Road VA-123 interchange. The ramps to and from southbound Chain Bridge Road would have had to have been modified from their existing configuration to a diamond interchange configuration to accommodate the tunnel portals. The reconfigured interchange would still allow VDOT to rebuild the interchange to SPUI (Single Point Urban Interchange) which is more efficient then the existing interchange or a diamond interchange at some future date.

The response to my comment submission in the Public Hearing Reports were;

"The suggestions submitted for our review and consideration were drawn on the Final EIS General Plans. These drawings have been revised during preliminary engineering and many of the suggestions proposed by the commenter were integrated into the current design."

Had I had my profiles drawings completed and submitted them with a better prepared description of my proposal I may convinced enough of the engineers and bean counters to change the station in the ditch to an elevated station.

In my opinion the existing approved alignment will have no affect on long term goal of making the Tysons Corner area into a so called pedestrian friendly urban environment.

by uzplayer

I truly doubt that Tysons Corner will ever truly become pedestrian friendly, but it will be to an extent, much closer then it currently is. The current alignment that they have built is sound and will provide what is needed. What is in question with the people of Tysons Corner and Mclean (digging from the points I saw) is the actual "other side of the track" mentality of the whole thing, basically saying that an elevated subway will subdivide the area and furthermore will be an eyesore.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Looking at the designs, I think it'll add to the scenery of the area and contribute positively to the environment.

The time for debate on this whole thing pretty much ended a while ago. If Mclean/Tysons Corner wanted to make a difference on the whole thing, they should have commissioned the appropriate studies and brought this to the attention of people when it was still in study. Instead, like other procrastinators, they wait until the last minute and now are whining that this was done under their noses, when in reality, this was a project that has been on the books as pending since 1984.