• Cab Controls of CSXT SD70AC

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by UPRR engineer

If you "stomp" on that orange "button" it will blow the whistle for a road crossing on its own. You shut it off by "stomping" on it again.

by LCJ

Starting on the right side of the control stand, first is the independent brake. Push all the way forward to completely apply brakes to the locomotive consist only. Push to the right to release brake cylinder pressure that has been applied using the automatic brake. This is termed "actuation," or "bailing off."

Next is the automatic brake. All the way back is the realease position where the brake pipe system is fully charged to the setting of the regulating valve (usually 90 psi for freight trains). Push it forward one detent for minimum reduction position which reduces brake pipe by 5 to 7 psi, applying the train brakes minimally. Push forward through the service zone to further reduce brake pipe for heavier applications of train brakes. Full service position gives you about a 23 psi reduction, which corresponds to what a full service application is for an 80 psi brake pipe. Next position is suppression, which allows you to recover from a penalty application (overspeed, cab signal, alerter induced). Next is handle off, where, you guessed it, you can remove the handle in order to stow it or use it on another unit. Last, but certainly not least, is emergency position, which immediately reduces brake pipe to zero, intitiating an emergency application of the air brakes.

Next handle to the left is the combined throttle and dynamic brake control. Pull back for 8 notches of power, center is idle, push forward to first set up for dynamic brake, then a smooth forward motion to gradually apply dynamic brakes (using the electric traction motors to translate motion into electricity that is connected to a resistance grid, thus slowing the train).

Next to the left is the reverser, which in the picture has been removed from the control and placed on the stand. Forward is, well, forward, and back is reverse.

The red pedal is for acknowledging more restrictive cab signal changes in cab signal territory. It would not be used otherwise.

by jgallaway81

I'd agree on the Cab signal acknowledger. Each cab is different, and even amont the same model, different controls like the red petal can have different uses.

I'm an engineer trainee on NS, and the helpers that work Horseshoe Curve have devices like that.. some are the cab signal acknowledgement control, while others are the crew alertor acknowledger control.

by LCJ

I believe UPRR is correct about the red pedal.

by jgallaway81

I know some CN engines are equipped with such a device, and I'm not discounting the possibility that CSX has such units, however on several Conrail and NS engines that are equipped with that type of petal, they are linked to the Cab Signal apparatus or the Crew Alerter device.

by blippo

The CSX SD70AC's equiped with cab signal/train control have a separate yellow button located approxmately below the bell button to acknowledge the cab signal. That red pedal blows the horn in the road crossing sequence.

by CSX-COAL HAULER

jgallaway81 wrote:
I'm an engineer trainee on NS, and the helpers that work Horseshoe Curve have devices like that.. some are the cab signal acknowledgement control, while others are the crew alertor acknowledger control.

You need to get some cubbing time in on csx junk-----just like uppr engineer said----the pedal on the floor blows your crossing sequence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

by jgallaway81

I'm not saying I'm right, just that I've never seen an engine other then an old CN unit that had such a control on the control stand.

by blippo

The CSX 8700's ( SD60's ) were former Conrail locomotives. The cab signal acknowledger is the foot pedal on the floor

by gp9rm4108

That pedal on the floor is not the horn sequence. Well maybe on CSX units ... almost, if not all CN units have those. It is an alerter reset. The engineer just taps it with his foot when it goes off. There is also one on the control stand/desk.

CN units with horn sequencers are all located on the control stand.

by blippo

This particular locomotive he's asking about is a CSX locomotive. The alerter reset on the locomotive pictured is the gold button just below the independent brake

by gp9rm4108

Yes CN units have 2 alerter reset buttons. The one on the control stand/desk and the pedal on the floor.

by alex45

is there any difference between the 2?

by rocketman

None of the 700's (SD70MAC) were equipped with Cab Signal. Only the 4700/4800's (SD70AC) came equipped with it and the acknowledge button is on the control stand next to the brakes. Even the Conrail/CSX SD70MACs came unequipped with cab signal. Quite a few of CSX's Dash 8's (7700-7800)(not former Conrail)(W's only) have the horn sequencer mounted on the floor aswell. A useless feature perhaps installed for the trully lazy engineer is also a hazard inside locomotive shops and servicing areas resulting in several injuries.