• Funky 'track-based' systems of freight car handling...

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Sir Ray

We've discussed systems like freight car elevators before, but recently I found something while reading about London's erstwhile Bishopgate's Good Station on 'Diused Stations in the UK' that looks just as interesting - small turntables for freight cars (marked on this Plan of Bishopgate (bottom level) - as circles with crosses in them, serving sidings 90deg off the mains (also note the 3 freight car 'hoists'/elevators this station one had); here (from the same site) is an painting of Manchester Liverpool Road station showing those turntables. I don't know if these turntable/siding systems were used in the US (perhaps not, as US & Canadian rolling stock grew fairly quickly, easily overshadowing the standard UK 2 axle wagons by the late 1800s), but still I think they're fascinating (I bet those guys who had to manhandle speeders from the speeder-shed track 90deg onto the main in the olden days wished they had such turntables - maybe some lucky ones did :-D ).
I tried to think of other funky methods of freight car handling, besides carfloating, which is it's own huge topic; and besides operational type systems such as winching railcars with a stationary winch (incline planes may fit in this category), car poling, flying switches and so on, which while interesting in their own way, don't require odd track motions like rotation or levitation.
I did come up with one 'funky' system that's fairly common nowadays - rotary coal dumpers (I wonder how often the non-rotating ends of two adjacent cars are hooked together, so when the gondola starts to rotate it's 'over' for that draft gear).
Also, I vaguely remember (in a railroad book from the 1960s) some sort of truck-based 'car-float' operation, where a railcar was moved onto a truck-trailer with rails, and hauled via road to a off-railroad consignee (much like a land-based car-float).
Anyone else have other odd track-based schemes to add?
  by .Taurus.

Deutschland-Kurve
'Germany-turn'

http://www.lokodex.de/or/doks/o_dok0001.htm
notice how the axle run with its flange onto of the rail.
(Is 'flange' the right english word for the part of the wheel with the biggest diameter?)

The 'Deutschland-turn' was introduced to ran freight cars through very tight turns without using small turntable (visible in the first post).

Because the outer wheel have to cover a bigger distance than the inner wheel, the outer wheel rans on its flange to neutralize this effect.

(this turn aren't in use anymore)

Greets

by Sir Ray

"Is 'flange' the right english word for the part of the wheel with the biggest diameter?"
Yes.

Looking at that track system, I see what they are trying to achieve, but not sure why they are going through at that bother of an extra rail and little ramps built into the rail head. Well, it's definitely interesting and rather funky, so yeah, its cool!
I was considering if the flange allow could support railcars, or if you need the tread part, but then thought about how many minor derailments there are (and have been) when you just use a rerailer (sometimes the locomotive itself carried one or more, I guess depending on track conditions which it works on) and ramp up that truck/wheelset back onto the track (bit like the German system ramps show above) - so the answer is yes, at least for short term usage...

by David Benton

Australia had piggback systems , narrow gauge wagons piggybacked onto standard gauge wagons for transit across standard gauge lines . or was it vice versa . In the area above Adelaide i believe . (port Pirie ??? )

by .Taurus.

Also, I vaguely remember (in a railroad book from the 1960s) some sort of truck-based 'car-float' operation, where a railcar was moved onto a truck-trailer with rails, and hauled via road to a off-railroad consignee
This system is in germany known as 'Strassenroller' (street/road roller)
Take a look on the pictures : Google Picture Search and reissweb.net -> Galarien -> Strassenroller (second row, third column)

I always wondered how it can be more efficient (in the past) to move a rail car (emty weight ~10 - 20 t *) onto of an special street car
than transportating an container via flat car and truck trailer or
load the loaded truck trailer (emty weight ~5 - 6 t *) onto a flatcar.
(Okay, the resolution are nowadays the modern intermodul transport)

The only exception is in my personal opinion is, if there are tankcars (not tank containers) that have to moved.

*)
Emty weight of freight car resp. truck-trailer are dead weight:
Strassenroller / Streetroller : have to transport the emty weight of the rail car (10 - 20 t ) additional to the load !
Piggyback : have to transport the emty weight of the truck-trailer (5 - 6 t ) additional to the load.
Container : there is only the emty weight of the container...
Last edited by .Taurus. on Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

by .Taurus.

David Benton wrote:Australia had piggback systems , narrow gauge wagons piggybacked onto standard gauge wagons for transit across standard gauge lines . or was it vice versa . In the area above Adelaide i believe . (port Pirie ??? )
This is the other way round also possible:
In Germany known as 'Rollbock' (no idea how this would be named in english)
Standard gauge railcar ran onto small narrow gauge cars.
Very axle of the standard gauge stand onto one narrow gauge car.

Pictures:
Google Picture Search 'Rollbock' or Google Picture Search 'Rollbockanlage'

€dit:
english Wikipedia article

by .Taurus.

And to the end a switch without gap for light trains / trams:

If the light trains change the track to run in wrong way,
the light rail rans with one site of the axle above a ramp so that its flange can cross the non-interrupt track.
Advantage: No 'tam-tam'-Sound if the light rails run on regular (straight) track.
If they want to use the switch, they have to run with very slow speed about the switch

Pictures:
Notice: this is a double gauge track, but only the narrow gauge can ran above the switches!
Source: german tram forum at DSO.de

Greets

by Sir Ray

Thanks Taurus, those kind of track arrangements are what I had in mind, especially 'Strassenroller' (can I assume this system is used nowadays, as that image you have seems fairly recent).
The 'no switch' switching is a bit confusing to me right now, but when I have time I'll try to figure it out. Actually, 'dual-gauge' trackage itself (narrow & standard gauge trackage, sharing one rail) was common in the US, but is now scarce...

by mtuandrew

.Taurus. wrote:
David Benton wrote:Australia had piggback systems , narrow gauge wagons piggybacked onto standard gauge wagons for transit across standard gauge lines . or was it vice versa . In the area above Adelaide i believe . (port Pirie ??? )
This is the other way round also possible:
In Germany known as 'Rollbock' (no idea how this would be named in english)
Standard gauge railcar ran onto small narrow gauge cars.
Very axle of the standard gauge stand onto one narrow gauge car.
"Rollböcken" translates as "rolling supports", but something tells me that we'd call them "rollerskates" here. There's no real precedent for them in the Americas that I've ever seen (if a standard gauge car is transported on narrow-gauge track here, it generally has a full transporter car under it) but the system most resembles a set of rollerskates. It's actually a pretty novel idea, but how would braking happen with the Rollböcken - I didn't notice any air or vacuum lines. That, and it seems that you'd have problems with the main axles falling off the skates on tight curves.

Some railroads just gave all their main lines dual-gauge track though. Much of the Denver & Rio Grande's track was built like that, so there's many examples of narrow-gauge locos hauling standard gauge cars and vice versa. Otherwise, if a customer off standard gauge wanted something delivered, they either had to get a car transporter or (more likely) get it off-loaded onto a narrow-gauge car.

EDIT: Or they'd exchange trucks, I'd forgotten about that.