• Odds and Ends of the NEC

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Jtgshu

A stop signal can only be given on at a control point (CP), the home signal of an interlocking, or interlocking signals, or any other signal designated by a special instruction. A stop signal means that the train MUST STOP and wait there for a better signal.

A stop and proceed is completely different. A stop and proceed signal is the most restrictive signal that can be displayed on an automatic signal (any signal with a number under it). A train must come to a stop, then proceed at restrictive speed. A home signal, CP signal or interlocking signal may be able to display a stop and proceed signal along with a stop signal.

by thebigc

Irish Chieftain wrote: But this is the NJT forum. We ain't worried about electrified freight in here, is we? That's what David's forum is for...
Someone asked a question and I thought I'd try to answer it. Sorry.

by Irish Chieftain

Shh, that's my OVD impersonation :wink: If I were truly narrow-minded, then the posts would have been altered and/or yanked...

by nick11a

Irish Chieftain wrote:Shh, that's my OVD impersonation :wink: If I were truly narrow-minded, then the posts would have been altered and/or yanked...
And that's one thing I love about this forum. Yes, it is about NJT but we branch off into other topics that are loosely related (or not at all related) to NJT and that makes everything so much fun.

by F40

Here's one:

Heading home, I saw a string of about 7 flatbed trailers (with no loco) sitting on the track between the PATH and the HOB tracks. About five of them had brand new concrete crossties stacked about 7 of them high and filling the length of each trailer. Are these going to be installed anytime soon?

by nick11a

Yep, probably. NJT has been doing track work on the M&E b/w Summit and Millburn recently (and probably other places too). They ship the ties on flatbeds. So, that is probably what it was. These ties were probably waiting for power (probably some of the 4300s minus 4302 of course) to move it to wherever.

by F40

Speaking about branching posts, in the Amtrak forum, you are restricted even to talk about Amtrak comparisons. Only strictly Amtrak. Many posts were locked as a result. Then, some iconoclast decided to post something entirely off-topic. It went for a while before being locked by Otto. Irish Chieftain sure knows how to make this forum worthwhile the way it is. :)

by Jtgshu

That same train with the concrete ties had tonight on it a Geep, a F40 (yes, it was one of the Amtrak ones because it had a portal in the door on the rear porch) and antoher Geep. I couldn't make out any numbers htough, it was very dark and raining

by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:That same train with the concrete ties had tonight on it a Geep, a F40 (yes, it was one of the Amtrak ones because it had a portal in the door on the rear porch) and antoher Geep. I couldn't make out any numbers htough, it was very dark and raining
Three weeks ago when they brought the ties to Summit for the work, they used three of the work Jeeps. (I think it was 4300, 4302 and 4303- although I could be mistaken- two in front and one in the rear.) Now that they are short of one of the work Jeeps (alas, poor 4302, we new her well, went up into flames into the storms of death; the mouth of hell- but she'll be okay eventually) they must be using the ex-Amtrak F40 to fill the hole. And about time at least one of these F40 units are being used for something other as a protect engine! (Why in the world NJT would rent five of these as backup units. Yes, they are there to make sure the PL42ACs work well when delivered and serve as backup but why would you rent 5 of them a year in advance before they are needed and pay a monthly amount to keep them, upgrade them at NJT's cost and just have them sitting around everywhere is beyond me.)

by F40

What are Geeps?

by AKelley728

F40 wrote:What are Geeps?
"Geep" is the nickname for the GP-40 series of locomotives.

by nick11a

^Haha. Geeps, yeah. It is a nickname for the GP diesels.

Here are NJ Transit's:

GP40PH-2s (4100-4112, 4145-4147, 4149-4150)
GP40PH-2Bs (4200-4219)
GP40-2s (the 4300-4303 work trains- no HEP or Head End Power)
GP40FH-2s (4130-4144)

EDIT: Oh yeah, I recomend this site for more info on NJT's locos. It is Mike Steinberg's site:

http://hobokenterminal.com/

You can lear a LOT from this site. I certainly did.

by arrow

nick11a wrote:EDIT: Oh yeah, I recomend this site for more info on NJT's locos. It is Mike Steinberg's site:

http://hobokenterminal.com/

You can lear a LOT from this site. I certainly did.
Take a look at this page: http://hobokenterminal.com/comet1.html#photos

I've always liked the as-built Comet I photo. I think the seats resemble the Comet V seats without the headrests. It's amazing how we've gone backwards I think judging from how inviting that car looked. It's too bad...

by F40

Btw, where is Comet I #1758? I've seen a lot of lo-door Comet I's but I haven't seen this anywhere. Is it shipped off to be scrapped already?

This car is special becaue I rode it to my first PJ trip with my dad.

Also, why were the snack bars removed? I like the idea.

by nick11a

F40 wrote:Btw, where is Comet I #1758? I've seen a lot of lo-door Comet I's but I haven't seen this anywhere. Is it shipped off to be scrapped already?

This car is special becaue I rode it to my first PJ trip with my dad.

Also, why were the snack bars removed? I like the idea.
1758 should still be on property or sitting in the string of Comet Is/MN Comet IIA/B/Ss at Hudson.

The Snack Bars were removed in the 80s because NJT just didn't want to have them anymore IIRC.