• Questions on "JERSEY BUILDER" coaches

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

by B&M 733

In the Early 1970s, CNJ purchased a number of smooth side coaches from the BURLINGTON NORTHERN. these were nicknamed the JERSEY BUILDER cars by some. Most IF NOT ALL oof these were of GREAT NORTHERN origin.
I remember at least two color schemes: BN GREEN and GN BIG SKY BLUE.
My questions:1) Did any of the GN Empire Builder cars in the "pre skye blue " colors of orange and brown make it to the CNJ?
and 2) Were any ex NORTHERN PACIFIC cars included in this purchase? or were all of the cars involved ex GN?
Thank you in advance.

by metman499

Yes, orange and brown cars did come over. GN 1224 and 1135 are pictured on page 17 of the Morning Sun CNJ/LV colorguide. I don't recall seeing pictures or movies of any NP cars.

by umtrr-author

I only recall BN, GN blue and GN "Empire Builder" as well. No NPs that I can remember.

We lived in Carteret at the time and frequently saw Jersey Builders in Woodbridge and Rahway.

by Ken S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retired_Ne ... rail_fleet
This link contains info on most of the secondhand rolling stock inherited or purchased by NJDOT. Yes, it is Wikipedia I just edited the page to include the ex-MoPac cars.

by steemtrayn

Don't forget the Santa Fe and Rock Island cars.