• West Trenton/Branch into Trenton

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

by Boosie

Does anyone know if there is any remaining activity on the former Reading branch that ran from the West Trenton station in Ewing Twp. south into the City of Trenton and Lawrence Twp.?

From Google maps, it looks like the line is almost entirely gone, except for what looks to be one possible remaining customer (Homosote Co.??) in Ewing Twp. Anybody know?

Here's a link from Blue Comet showing some 70s era traffic on that branch--scroll to the bottom of the link:
http://thebluecomet.com/rdgnydiv.html

Any info anyone has on this branch would be appreciated. There was once a Reading freight station in downtown Trenton, which is now a senior citizens complex called the "Reading Senior Center" and listed in the National Register of Historic Places:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~njmercer/Site/PRRRStation.htm

It looks like this was once a very thriving line from the long gone era of "Trenton Makes, The World Takes." :(

by aem7

They only go down as far as the first road crossing to do Homasote once in a while.

by kevikens

I am surprised. I didn't think anything used that branch at all for anything now.
  by Boosie

Last time I was in the area, the tracks looked pretty bad.

Anybody know how often Homasote gets served, their volume, and whether it's inbound or outbound shipments?

They're an interesting company -- they were making building materials from waste materials long before anyone knew what "recycling" meant.

Would like to see pix of this historic line when it was in its heyday--probably few even exist. I bet the GM Fisher Guide plant adjacent to the Reading main in West Trenton must have seen some big league shipment volume.

Trenton sure ain't what it used to be.... :(

Wow

by Boosie

What a history and future that company has:

http://www.homasote.com/about.html

Now they just need to do some more rail shipping! :wink:

by David Hutchinson

I followed the branch all the way into Trenton a few years back. There are quite a few artifacts along the way. Some of the trackwork before Trenton station was still there including a switch on a small bridge. I have a list of the industries on the branch in 1944 and the number was incredible....

by hioo1

a list of industries along the line in 1944? That sounds interesting. Anyway I can get a look at the list? This part of the reading has interested me since I can hardly find anything on it, know of anywhere else to find some info on it back in the 1940s?