Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
  by JoeG

If I remember right, the Hell Gate Bridge route was opened about 1920.
When it was opened, did it have any electrification on it?
I assume it wasn't electrified at first. If I'm right, where did NY-Boston Hell Gate Bridge trains switch from electric to steam power?
When was catenary put on the bridge?
  by Ocala Mike

The two passenger tracks had catenary from the date the route opened in 1917. Catenary for the two freight tracks (one since removed) went in in 1927.

Ocala Mike

by timz

It seems they changed power around Harold (or somewhere in Queens, anyway)-- but as I recall they changed directly from a DD1 to NH steam, for the first few years anyway.
  by Ocala Mike

NH electric power went on and Pennsy electric power came off at Penn Station. If steam had to go on (for whatever reason), it would undoubtedly have taken place in the area of Sunnyside Yard, the terminus of the NY Connecting RR, "owner" of the Hell Gate Bridge route.

Ocala Mike
  by amtrakhogger

Pre-PRR AC days found the engine change performed at Harold
Int. for NH trains.
  by timz

Ocala Mike wrote:NH electric power went on and Pennsy electric power came off at Penn Station.
After 1933, that is.

by JoeG

OK, I understand that catenary was installed when Hell Gate was built. But until the thirties a train from New Haven would have had to change for a DD1. When I go past Harold now, I don't see a place for the engine change. Was it different then, or was the change done in Sunnyside Yard, or am I missing something?
  by Ocala Mike

Joe: You probably should post your question over on the LIRR board; lots of really knowledgable guys there.

Ocala Mike

by Spartan Phalanx

The New York & Atlantic Railway Forum would be a good place to ask questions about Hell Gate also. NYA gets 97% of it's traffic via Hell Gate Bridge, from CSX, CP Rail and the Providence & Worcester. A lot of knowledgeable posters on there too.

by bellstbarn

You might enjoy this new book published by the Long Island Sunrise Trail chapter of the NRHS, authors Robert Sturm and William Thom: The New York Connecting Railroad; Long Island's Other Railroad.
After clicking on this URL, scroll down for ordering instructions:
http://www.nrhs-list.org/
---
Page 45: March 9, 1917, special inspection train from Penn Station to 142nd Street and return, with dedication ceremony and photos on the northbound trip.
April 1, 1917, open for regular passenger service, and in full passenger operation by April 3rd. On April 6th, the U.S. declared war on the Central Powers, and the New York Connecting Railroad was taken over for operation by the USRA. The remainder of the NYCR was declared fully operational on January 17, 1918. Distances: 8.07 miles from Port Morris to Fresh Pond; 0.91 miles from Sunnyside Junction to Woodside Avenue. Earliest operation was steam on all trains.
----
Page 66 -- Electrified passengers service to Penn was inaugurated on April 1, 1918, but with a change of locomotives at Harold [for D.C. in East River Tunnels.]
Page 67: Freight service, however, was not electrified until March 15, 1927.
The book is worth its price!
Joe McMahon