• Harmon shops/operations

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by CarterB

In the days of steam, were the incoming locos 'turned' on one of the two turntables or were they just backed over the loop to pick up the next Westbound train after being serviced?

What, if anything, is left of the two roundhouses and turntables at Croton? Anything left of the loop track?
  by ChiefTroll

According to one of the yardmasters I worked with at Harmon in 1960, the steam road engines were backed over the loop from the enginehouse to the land side to pick up their trains. He told me that they were normally stacked in train order. On one panicky night he had low water alarms sounding off on a half-dozen of them before he could find a hostler to go up and put some water in the boilers. I don't know who had screwed up, but the vision was vivid in my mind at the time and it still is.

Gordon Davids